How to create a thruster or blowing function

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by ash_white, Mar 8, 2016.

1. ash_white

ash_white Boxer

Hi Guys,

I'm brand new to the gaming app development world so please excuse my lack of technical speech but, I'm looking to create a game which has a series of items that fall down a linear path. The fall based on something close to gravitational pull. I want to create a thruster button that replicates something akin to suspending a ball in the air with wind. Is this possible with Buildbox?

I look forward to hearing any suggestions.

Best,

Ash

2. JustWatchApps

JustWatchApps Avid Boxer

@ash_white I definitely recommend reading through the BB manual TWICE as you build your first game. a link is here: BB Manual

You can give fixed objects a velocity, or you can have physics objects that will be subject to your game's gravity settings.

You can make your character act like a suspended ball in the wind through advanced gameplay settings. Watch the video tutorial series.

Good luck!

3. ash_white

ash_white Boxer

Hi @JustWatchApps,

Thanks for getting back to me. I can see that the manual doesn't yet cover the 2.0 Beta version I'm currently using. From what I can figure I should be using the 'Helicopter' preset, which is either no longer available or has been named something else. Any experience using 2.0?

Thanks

4. ash_white

ash_white Boxer

Ok, I can see that there is a 'Jetpack' setting which presumably is the preset I need, but it only allows for landscape view. I need portrait view so I'll have a play around and see if I can recreate the dynamics of 'Jetpack' for portrait. I'll report back with my findings.

5. JustWatchApps

JustWatchApps Avid Boxer

@ash_white I don't use BB2, but I'm sure you can adjust the orientation to portrait from landscape, that is how we do it in BB1.

6. ash_white

ash_white Boxer

@JustWatchApps - Unfortunately the orientation gets locked with this style of game in BB2 :(

7. JustWatchApps

JustWatchApps Avid Boxer

@ash_white Sorry, no BB2 experience. Waiting for more stability first ;)

8. ash_white

ash_white Boxer

yes, maybe I should just stick with the original first. See how that fairs. Thanks anyway @JustWatchApps

9. sloshednoob

sloshednoob Boxer

Late answer... But you change that in the settings after