How To Create A Secret Room Like In Mario Bros?.

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Nova.NBR, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Nova.NBR

Nova.NBR Boxer

Hello all,
    I'm still newbie in buildbox, is it possible to create a secret room in the game like mario bros? (We can only enter to that room if we can find the secret door and enter through it, but if we cant find it we still can play in the regular world). If it is possible please advise how to create that in detail. Thank you.

PS: I'm sorry for my poor english. English is not my daily language.

2. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

You would add a menu jump that will link to another world (secret room).
    So place the menu jump on top of the secret door, once the character reaches the door it will take them to the world thats linked to the menu jump.

Nova.NBR and ramiucef like this.
  3. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Around 3 minutes in

Nova.NBR likes this.
  4. Nova.NBR

Nova.NBR Boxer

Thank you very much for both of you, Sir.
    But I still have a problem, how to set the exit in the place where i want to be?.
    My step is like this, i create the world1 as a regular world. And I put a menu jump in the scene 3 of the world1 as an entry door to the secret room. And I connect that secret room to the world1 again. But when I exit from that secret room my character is shown up in the begining of world1. I want to put the exit door (the place where character will show up when he return from the secret room is in the scene 5 of the world1.
    Is it possible to do that Sir?.

5. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

There may be a better way but I would do this:
    - Place menu jump in scene 3 of 'World 1' than create another world called secret room.
    - Link menu jump from scene 3 of 'World 1' to secret room.
    - Place another menu jump in secret room than create another world called 'World 1 continued'
    - Link menu jump in secret room to 'World 1 continued' than make 'World 1 continued' a continuation of 'world 1'

Nova.NBR and Christoph like this.
  6. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Nice. :D

7. Nova.NBR

Nova.NBR Boxer

Thank you for your reply, Sir.
    Thats mean I have to duplicate the world1 but begin with the scene5 as the exit door from the secret room, is that right, Sir?. Because in my case character/player doesnt have to enter to the secret room, if the player cant find the door or he found it but choose not to enter to it, he continue to play as usual in the world1.
    So if I want to create 5 world with 1 secret room in every world, I have to create 15 world, wow.
    Thank you very much for your idea Sir. I will go with that.

Have a great day. :)

8. anngelinoo

anngelinoo Avid Boxer

Nova.NBR likes this.
  9. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Thanks for all these tutorials but the most important part is how to continue the score in the secret world. So it really looks like it is a part of the other world/level. Any ideas?

Nova.NBR likes this.
  10. anngelinoo

anngelinoo Avid Boxer

You can select whats score appare , make label with score and select whats world , but you sure placing in game over screen

11. Nova.NBR

Nova.NBR Boxer

Thank you very much for the tutorial. But unfortunatelly I think its not exactly answer my question.
    I'm sorry since I'm a newbie in buildbox I'm not fully understand that Sir.
    To make my self clear I have attached a diagram. Since my english is so poor and maybe difficult to understand.
    I want to create a secret room but our player is not forced to enter to that secret room. if player decided to enter they missed some scene in the regular world, but in the end after finished having fun in the secret room such as collecting coin, they have to returned again to the regular world. But if player decided not to enter (or he cant find the secret door to enter to it) he play in regular world as usual. If you playing an oldie/classic game such as Mario or Sonic the Hedgehog you will understand what I mean. I'm sorry for my poor english.
    Now the next challenge regarding this secret room is already given by Mr.Christoph: The Scoring. Yup, its hard for me, because character make a jump to another world a couple of time :(.

Have a Great Day or Night Everyone. :)

Attached Files:

12. anngelinoo

anngelinoo Avid Boxer

I understand perfectly what you want but I I showed you an example of how you create and how to get into this, and well understood in the secret room you can put whatever you want to carry gameplay wanted, and to return use the same menu of course you can jump or continue with another world, you need to make you mostly remainder of the game, these tutorials are only "key" to create you. I understand what you want but if I achieve everything you want would be pleased to create the game?

13. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

[​IMG]

Gameplay wise, what's the difference? If done right, the player will think it is like the first option. He never will know how you resolved it.

14. anngelinoo

anngelinoo Avid Boxer

In your secret world create a new action and select type gameplay and configure gameplay for this action , if you do not understand I'll make a tutorial

15. anngelinoo

anngelinoo Avid Boxer

about this is the idea, you can decide where and when it opens the way to the secret world, you can customize and leads to a higher level than did me the world of secret, if you put an action and select "Gameplay" and we you can put a line before starting (ie inevitable to take the player), make the default settings necessary for the gameplay will take place in the world of secret "score x2, gravity, bounce, etc." and finally put a "menu jump "that will lead the world" next ", but as yet the return is not allowed in Buildbox now. You can do so many scenes like the first world after world with secret how many scenes you want, then go on and create another world and how many scenes you like.

16. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

= Option 2. But as I said, there is no difference for the end-user.

17. anngelinoo

anngelinoo Avid Boxer

Yes, but you can Duplicate normal world ACE with stage 1, 2, 3 and a 3 to 1 to uf Possibility secret world and in the end to take you into the world nromal duplicate But deleting scenes first and going, and when you're done, make copies and attach a new and normal matter and Alec IF "secret world" of drawings of the same

18. anngelinoo

anngelinoo Avid Boxer

Yes, but you can duplicate the normal world with scenes initial 1, 2, 3 and 3-3 chicken like "secret world" at the end fascia chicken and a "menu jump" that takes you to copy the "normal world" delete first 3 boards and keep the scenes, and when you're done doing a copy and replace the normal world and if you do not choose to go into "secret world" drawings will continue and if you choose to continue exactly the same, there remains only his decision, this is the only solution

19. Hoodle

Hoodle Boxer

As a suggestion:
    1) You could create a menu jump to a UI that is the secret room and use the UI as the secret room. (I think it would have to be 1 scene only.) 2) You would need to pause the game in the background and place a black (or coloured) background in the UI.
    3) Then when you finish you could do next checkpoint to the point that you wanted to end up in.
    I think that would achieve what you intend but you would be limited to a 1 scene room.

Nova.NBR likes this.