How To Change Color Of Picture To Have Few Variations?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Astro Games, Apr 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Astro Games

Astro Games Avid Boxer

I want to import one bitmap picture as a color image and I wish to use the same image and change its colors to different by still using only one picture in the atlases. Is it possible? Or am I missing something? Each time I change color of an image I need to save that image what overwrites the image in the atlases. So I don't get why image editor is implemented because I can do all image corrections in graphics software, maybe it's just for users who doesn't want to use another picture editing software?

By the way controls of image editor would be better with sliders instead of numerical input.
    And Hue works strange, not the way I used to know, lowering hue value should rather make an image black&white but in BB it makes it inverted by colors or something.

2. FranciscoBala

FranciscoBala Avid Boxer

Hi, i use http://www169.lunapic.com/editor/ and Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 to get all sorts of results

and regarding the image overwriting the atlases, I suggest you added the modified img as a new/unused object which you'l use wherever you want :)
    Hope that helped :rolleyes:

3. Astro Games

Astro Games Avid Boxer

Hi, thanks for your input.

Well, actually I wasn't asking how to change color of the picture with other software but with BB. I know how to do it in general. I was asking is it possible inside BB but keeping the same one "source" image in atlases. Sorry if I wrote it wrong.

My case is for example that I have 100 different pictures in atlases, it takes 2 atlases. All I need is to make additional 5 different color variation of each image inside BB without importing new 500 re-coloured images because it will take additional 10 atlases, too much as we all know.

I can see the image editor is already built in BB but I have no idea what is it for if I can't use it the way I want it to use. Is it just for re-colouring of existing image? Really? All I need is a link between that image editor final result and objects from my BB library. Or am I missing something? @Andy ?

Christoph likes this.
  4. FranciscoBala

FranciscoBala Avid Boxer

Have you tried duplicating the img that you wanted, re-name it & then color change it within BuildBox img editor?

@jcalle any thoughts on how to help our fella here? :rolleyes:

5. Astro Games

Astro Games Avid Boxer

Sure, I've tried to do it in some different ways but might be still missing something because it doesn't work for me.
    Thanks! @jcalle ?

6. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Unfortunately not possible. I think this was thought to be doable at the beginning (hence the editor) but then was abandoned on the way. You only can change the source image but it will change all internal clones of them as well.

+1 of having this feature.

FranciscoBala likes this.
  7. Astro Games

Astro Games Avid Boxer

Bad news :/ It would be great form optimization perspective. And I wonder how does - if working - it influence the overall performance during the game because all these calculations should be done on-fly each time every "sprite" is displayed.

8. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

If you have 10 Atlasses in BB, something is doing wrong.
    Do not re-scale within BB, and always use the 1: 1 scale

For a thorough analysis of your problem, you can contact me by PM, to connect your PC by Teamviewer.

9. Astro Games

Astro Games Avid Boxer

It was just an example. I'm aiming in max 4 atlases when I really need it but if that method could work would be very beneficial for me.
    Do you have an idea how to use it if possible or is it as Christoph said?
    Thanks for your input but I think I know how to optimize and utilize graphics and atlases but looking for more options.