How Can I Optimize My Game?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by tributorock, Oct 26, 2016.

1. tributorock

tributorock Avid Boxer

Hi,

I have a big problem. Five months ago a sold a game for a company and now i finished the game. When i test in a lot of devices i got some problems:

- IOS : Iphones 6 does no run my game(Fixed). Now all IOS devices that i tested the game are running game fine. I tested Iphone 4S, 5, 6 , 6S and Ipad Mini 2.
    - Android: Just devices with 2GB RAM and 1.5GHZ Quadcore Processor run the game fine. Devices with 1GB ram does not run the game.

I was reading in the forum that downscale images can bring poor performance and also if i have more than 20 atlasses, this can turn game slow in old devices.

My Game has now 30 atlasses and a lot of downscales.

I tried to resize my all images , upload them again to the game and resize all my assets to 1:1 but now i have 39 Atlasses and my game does not run in IOS and Android. I had to turn back to old version of my game.

In these links you can open two projects: Old project with a lot of images downscaled and new project with images 1:1.

I need to fix it and got my game running on Android with at least 1GB RAM. For Gods sake i need your help because customer paid me and now i have this big problem. Is there some way to decrease my atlasses or resize my images outside Buildbox and reupload them again without increse my atlasses? I resized all images outside buildbox and i erase images in buildbox and reupload again but i have my atlasses and size of game increased. My Game jumps from 95 to 180MB. I tried all optimization tools in buildbox with no success

How can i optimize my game for android in this case?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2016
  2. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

Have you cleaned out your images, optimised atlases?. check screenshot.
    You shouldn't have more than 3 atlases,
    There is some where on the forum where they discuss images not being removed.
    Some suggested BetterZip, that works if your confident enough to do it.
    ill download your file and have a look.

Attached Files:

3. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

Just looked at the new file, haven't bothered with the old one.
    Wow, your images are huge.
    I optimised it and got it down to 36 atlases but thats it.
    You need your images to be smaller again.
    Some of your atlases contain just two images that are 1000x1000px. Thats way to big.
    Just a tip, your loading screen should have a white background of 100x100px then up size that, its only white, so that won't affect the display.
    Then add your Logo as a 300x300px. for example.
    At the moment it looks like it is 1500x700px.
    then their are other atlases that have backgrounds the same size 1500x700px.

I make all my back grounds 200x200px then add the details to the background, all details are about 100x100px even some smaller.
    Looks like you just made every thing in photoshop at screen resolution sizes and have dropped them in.
    So yea unless someone else can help. you just need to down size all your images some more.

Christoph likes this.
  4. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Wow. thats a huge game.
    I would start by downsizing ALL images. use GIMP. google it. Load each image and click IMAGE at top and cut image size at least in half. That will shrink game size from 140MB [new] to probably around 70-80MB. Also resize all sounds. Use free online tools to downsample them. You seem to be using way too many objects. Ive never tried the 'Convert to clones' options. May be worth a look.
    The reason its crashing and not running how you want it to is because of image sizes. It will take awhile because you have so many, but i would shrink them. Also knock out alot of objects. for example, Instead of 50 billion different box images, just use 2 or 3.
    Also when making backgrounds, learn to stretch them versus making 10,000 different ones in a single scene. ie: If the ground is black, use 1 image and stretch it across, versus 35 images copy and pasted side by side to make the black ground.
    So recap:
    Downsize everything.
    USE LESS OBJECTS.

UPDATE: Look at first level. the sandy beach. You have a single squared image of beach sand, like 20 plus times. versus making the entire beach one solid image. WHat i would do is select the sand, the single square block of sand, Then hit the edit image option and copy and paste a few blocks of sand side by side....the length of the level. Then delete all of them in game, and replace them with one single LONG block of sandy beach.

UPDATE 2: I just deleted all ground objects...cave floor, beach etc. was about 12 objects. then cleared them...it cleared over 1200 objects. thats an over kill. Each level can have 2-3 ground images and have it look EXACTLY the same as it does now. This way a phone doesnt have to load 1200 objects, instead only 2-3 per level. I got the game to load about 20% faster after doing this. Now apply this everywhere. All objects as minimal as possible. Shrink images etc. and use LESS objects. bam, game will be 50mb easy and load fast on any device.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  5. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

i think you shouldn't put a designed game source files in public if you only asked privately some trusted boxer to help you with your problem or at-least in costumer section also with only ticking to optimize atlases bring it down to 36 atlases.

blackswan and AppNasty like this.
  6. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

yeah hes right. i would delete this post quick. just send us here helping a private message. dont need thieves stealing your work.

7. Cristian

Cristian Avid Boxer

Hi there,

I have a game that is 50 megs and for some reason does not run on iPad mini and samsung galaxy trend.

On iPad does not open after load screen and on samsung galaxy trend it does but after a while gets laggy and closes.

I have seen games that are 200 megs + and have much more things going on in the game such explosions, light fx and more and still works on old devices.

Any tips?

Regards,
    C

AppNasty likes this.
  8. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Did you optimize by remove extras? Sound files, images etc. Also click on main area where it shows in game and menus, click on your level and check deletion threshold. Usually its,.1000/700.
    Adjust it lower. I generally us 200/200.

9. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

200 won't probably work for tablets. You need to check this as well.

10. Cristian

Cristian Avid Boxer

Hi,

I optimized and remove extras. I have 500/500 atm for detention threshold.

Thanks for the tip,
    C

volcank likes this.
  11. comicsmathias

comicsmathias Avid Boxer

stoopid question, but how do I change deletion threshold in BB2?

12. Cristian

Cristian Avid Boxer

You select your level ( blue ones) from Mind Map and on right side of BB you have all settings such gravity, speed, Friction etc. You have there OBJECT DETETION THRESHOLD. And have 2 fields there if menu is open. IF is not just click the arrow to open the menu.

comicsmathias and Christoph like this.
  13. comicsmathias

comicsmathias Avid Boxer

ty. found it under "add component" it was an imported bb1 file.