How Can I Move To Next Scenewhen My World Is Stationary (not Moving)?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Squiggz, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Squiggz

Squiggz Boxer

My world is stationary where my character moves up and down and enemies come across the screen to be dodged. I'm wondering if it is possible to get to the next scene when all of the enemies in the scene have flew by and are dodged.
    I cannot get this simple problem to work and its killing me. I DO NOT want to create a new world for every scene.
    [​IMG]
    for example this is scene 1, scene 2 would have 2 enemies etc, so when all the enemies are dodged we want to move to the next scene.

Attached Files:

2. Squiggz

Squiggz Boxer

3. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

You've hit the nail right on the head there matey. Checkpoints are really designed for a world that has movement and was originally intended to be able to go back to a certain checkpoint after dying. Many have tried (including myself) to hop from one scene to another, especially when you have a static world like yours with very poor results. The issue I had was the next scene that appeared was always slightly off-centre and it never worked very well at all. The best option is to have an individual world for each scene, this way you can use menu jumps or event logic, watching score or points to move between worlds and this works great.

If you've already design many scenes, just duplicate those worlds and delete the scenes you don't want from each one. Might seem like a lot of faff, but will pay off in the long run and you know it works. Fighting against BB is frustrating, but there's little point in trying to get it to do what it's not capable of, good luck :)

Maylock likes this.
  4. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

Hi there,

As @Phill Mason said there is a way of doing what you want using checkpoints but the worlds are shifting slightly from scene to scene. The best way to do that is to go for world and menu jumps. it takes you a lot of time to edit and adapt "scene hopping" for different types of devices/resolutions. Just create some words and see how it goes.

Good luck! Best regards,
    Vlad

5. Squiggz

Squiggz Boxer

Hmmmmmm thanks guys, do you think its still efficient if i have 500 worlds compared to 500 scenes?

6. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

Honestly I would make around 100-120 stages and release to a small audience and check the charts to see if I have some downloads. There is no reason to implement 500 scenes or worlds if there is no traffic. I will go for scenes but this is because my subscription type, as soon as I can afford the next package I will upgrade and go for worlds... but keep in mind, rename your stiffs properly because you can get lost easily at that scale.

7. Squiggz

Squiggz Boxer

i mean efficiency as in performance on the device ! like will the game still run smooth with 5000 worlds?

8. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

I don't know I did not try that. Simulate that and try it!

Be curious in practice and see what you can get from this.

9. Phill Mason

I don't think it'll make any difference if you have 500 scenes or 500 worlds, even though that seems a lot of scenes/worlds, the performance will come down to your graphics and activity within each scene. I think if you're considering building 5000 scenes, then you want to make damn sure you have an audience for it, as that's going to take you a shed-load of time and are you even certain anyone would play that many scenes?

You could always pop an email to support@buildbox.com to see what they suggest about performance of a 5000 scene game........

10. TheGameAppStudio

TheGameAppStudio Serious Boxer

@Squiggz Just add points for no of enemy's that you dodge .Make sure that is invisible and add an event observer with session points to change to next scene on reaching selected points.Also add different background as object and set them as decoration so that when ever you complete one scene user will understand its next scene.Also if you need to add coins i.e if there is any shooting for objects that you can't dodge then add an action to the defeated animation of enemy and make it as big as scene size.So that on defeat each coins get collected.Hope this helps.

11. Squiggz

Squiggz Boxer

@Phill Mason typo i meant 500 haha but thank you guys!
    And @TheGameAppStudio
    i tried this but how do i you an event observer to go to the next scene instead of the next world?

Phill Mason likes this.
  12. Squiggz

Squiggz Boxer

@Vlad-NY @Phill Mason
    So using the menujump or event observer is there anyway to maintain the characters position? because it just resets :( and i want it flow.

13. Phill Mason

I don't think so @Squiggz, that's really what scenes are for, so you can seamlessly flow from one to another. The solution provided of using menu jumps and event observers works for what you need, but as far as I know, I don't think there's anyway to keep your character position from one world to the next. Perhaps @Andy could confirm if its possible for you.