Hold Button For Variable Action Duration

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Phill Mason, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Hey folks, does anyone know if it's possible to use any button on the UI that can provide us with an action duration that lasts for as long as you hold the button down?

I'm having a play around with a fast and slow button which work fine and I was thinking back to when I was testing the slide feature and you can slide your character for as long as you hold the button down (great feature). This got me to wondering about a button-combo that could slow down or speed up the character along a path whilst holding the button down, rather than just setting that action to a fixed duration like we do now.

All crazy ideas welcome.

2. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

ok....so...

hadn't used my voice yet this morning as I'm drinking my coffee, so you're gonna get a mix of under-caffeinated rambling and throat clearing... BUT... you might find it helpful nonetheless... bbdoc below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dri5yxlw6surugz/Game Speed UI Buttons.bbdoc?dl=0

and the original bbdoc where I said i had it working smoother a minute ago...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xhb3b7342l51zhi/Fast Game Action Button.bbdoc?dl=0

Phill Mason likes this.
  3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I would test this as well on a device first as you are spawning a lot of actions there. Otherwise a very great idea. How about using an advance move for slide down and use the action in the default animation of the advance move? Would that make more sense?

Phill Mason likes this.
  4. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Hey @heathclose, many thanks for taking a look and taking the time make the video, very much appreciated. It's a nice idea you've executed there and I can see your line of thinking, but it does speed up the entire game, which I'm trying to avoid, as I only want to be able to speed up and slow down the character and not the gameplay. The reason for this is, I want the player to make a decision to go either faster or slower, so the enemies must remain the same speed in order to make this exciting/work.

I've managed to get a couple of buttons to do this, but I cannot get this to be effective whilst the character travels across a path.Works fine when not on a path, but as soon as you introduce a path for the character to follow, the buttons no longer influence the character. I may consider eliminating the paths altogether and look at alternative ideas, but that's what I'm really gong for if poss. I thought that's what the paths "Keep Velocity" check box was for, but it doesn't seem to make a difference checked or unchecked. Thanks again mate.

heathclose and Christoph like this.