Help With Character Movement Needed

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by HRN Games, Nov 6, 2016.

1. HRN Games

HRN Games Boxer

Hi guys, new to Buildbox here. Attempting to make my first game, and I'm having trouble with character movement.
    What i want is for the character to move left or right by a fixed amount of distance, a total of 5 positions on the screen. So when a player touches the left or right of the screen, the character will move left to the first fixed position, and then to the next fixed postion when pressed again. Please look at the attached image to see what i mean, the white circle is the character and the faded circles are the positions i would like it to move to, as if to change lanes for example

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Use advanced movements with linear movement that equals the distance you need the character to travel. If you have problem setting up advanced movements check out first all tutorials on the Buildbox site as well as the Make your own game series.

HRN Games likes this.
  3. HRN Games

HRN Games Boxer

Thank you very much x

4. HRN Games

HRN Games Boxer

Hi, i had a look at this but there doesn't seem to be an option for linear movement? Theres only one for linear velocity

5. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

same thing.

Christoph likes this.
  6. HRN Games

HRN Games Boxer

Is velocity not speed? I want the character to move a fixed distance every time the player taps, I tried this method and the character moves for as long as the button is held which is never going to be exactly the same amount of time

7. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

Oh sorry,
    Play around with the timeout on the advanced movement. at default it is zero, try maybe something like EG, 0.5, 0.05 you will need to lower it or make the number higher to travel the distance you require.

HRN Games likes this.
  8. HRN Games

HRN Games Boxer

Yeah ok il try that, thanks!

playsgames6666 likes this.