Group Layer Bug?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by CoooooF, Oct 9, 2016.

1. CoooooF

CoooooF Boxer

Hey Guys,

Have another issue, wondering if anyone knows a way to fix this.

When you use group layers and turn on auto depth sorting, it works great in the scene you use it but it seems to bug out in other scenes.

I have one scene where i need auto depth turned on and others where i don't, but when i do this it breaks the layer order in other scenes. I have objects appearing on top of the character and what not in the other scenes where i dont have groups. But if i delete all group layers, it works fine. I have tried making a group in all scenes to see if that fixes anything but it doesnt...

Any ideas?

2. CoooooF

CoooooF Boxer

Christoph likes this.
  3. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

Dr. Christoph! I love it!

Christoph and CoooooF like this.
  4. heathclose

I am group layer illiterate by the way... I know @brakewind723 gets it... is this a bug?

5. CoooooF

CoooooF Boxer

For when you need to go 88mph.

Thanks for asking, i really hope its not a bug, this is the last hurdle in my prototype!

6. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I am a complete amateur when it comes to grouping layers. But professor brakewind for sure has some wisdom to share.

7. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

Hello students :D

Yes it seems there is a bug, buildbox doesn't seem to track the group layering from the previous seen so they are independent from each other. If you are working with an isometric game then it is best if the objects in a group layer in one seen do not come in contact or touch ones in another or it will break the illusion ;)

blackswan, CoooooF and Christoph like this.
  8. CoooooF

CoooooF Boxer

Thanks for the brake! but im not sure i understand correctly.

I am making an iso game, but my objects don't cross each other through scenes. The only thing that bleeds over is the platform the character is running on but they are not in a group layer.

Say i have a hurdle in a group layer on scene 1 and spikes without a group layer in scene 2, the group layer from scene 1 still effects scene 2 even though the objects are different.

9. heathclose

hahahah oh they keep getting better

10. CoooooF

CoooooF Boxer

Ok justice league, @brakewind723 @heathclose @Christoph @seaman

If this is a bug i cant get around, maybe there is another solution?

Creating an isometric runner and having problems getting the character to hit objects correctly. If you check out the pit, there are these long pillars coming from the top of the screen, the object has to be set above the character in the layer options so you duck under it and the animation looks correct but if you jump at the pillar it looks wrong because before it kills you, it looks like you have jumped behind it and not infront of it if that makes sense.