Going into Airplane mode stop Ads!

Discussion in 'Advertising' started by AndyG, Nov 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

ok. a beta tester of mine when testing my game immediately switched to Airplane mode which stopped Ads being shown! WTF!

Is this for real with live Apps or just a quirk when testing Apps not downloaded from the App store?

Currently trying to replicate this playing other games but curious to know if anyone has spotted this issue and has a workaround?

2. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

I believe that this is standard behavior for all apps. There needs to be a network connection in order for the Ad networks to serve ads.

3. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

OK so does anyone know how to stop the game playing unless a network connection is maintained?

4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

No. But it's actually good to leave the users the option to stop the ads turning off the Internet. Mostly they can not be for a long time without it so they will turn it on again eventually. When you have a good game users come back and back again and they will play with the Internet on. Anyway. Your userbase that will give you money will be between 2-5% from all downloads. And they will not turn the Internet off. So don't worry. Also remember, do not saturate your game with ads. Just a few and no one will care...

5. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

Games like farmville, Clash of clans, Game of war etc. require a network connection in order to stay in sync with their servers. So you would probably have to do the same thing and setup you're own server than program the app to connect to the server. If the connection breaks than have the app show an offline msg

6. darren

darren Avid Boxer

Consider the bad reviews you will get from doing this...plus, if someone goes into airplane mode they lose out on getting text messages and phone calls so a majority of people won't turn airplane mode on.

7. stevinz

stevinz Avid Boxer

Also, while in airplane mode, any high score achieved will not save to Game Center. Avid gamers know this and care about their public scores, and therefore will not put their phone into airplane mode.

8. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

ok great insight guys to the pros and cons. Generally it seems its something you have to live with but in the grand scheme of things it does not have a major affect on revenue. Thanks to all.

9. larsson

larsson Boxer

People will turn off ads if they are intrusive to the point of becoming an annoyance. Personally one thing I absolutely detest and won't be implementing into my own games are ads that interrupt the player mid game. It sounds like your tester does it out of habit, this probably isn't the norm for most people so I wouldn't waste energy over it.

10. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Yep, basically you can't expect to get money from everyone... Measure the ratio how many user will turn off internet connection just to play with your game. If that is too high, do something about it. If not, just concentrate on some other games instead :)

Btw if someone offline maybe they cannot upload score to Game Center, that is an appropriate punishment :)