Getting Started With Game Art For My Game Help/advice Needed

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by jmmk1995, Jul 5, 2016.

1. jmmk1995

jmmk1995 Boxer

Hello everyone, I have the actual concept of my game in buildbox, and I plan on starting making the game art for the game. Up until now I have just been using the stock art for testing the game mechanics from the presets in Buildbox 2. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on making clean, simple, game art? I currently have Photoshop CS6 and Illustrator CS6, so I would probably want to use one of those two. I just had a few questions:

1: What dimensions do the new project file have to be?

[​IMG]

As an example in Photoshop, I am not sure what I should use. The game will be compatible with iPhone 6, 6s, 6/6s plus, all the way to iPad Air 2.

2: Do I have to make different resolutions for each device?

Again, any advice or tips in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

1136x640 pixeles. This is the resolution Buildbox works with. Make your frame or your artwork exactly as big and then start to design with a 1:1 ratio. This way you assure your dimensions are all exactly as you want them to look on a 1.77 ratio device (=16:9 screens). So if you have a button which is 50x50 pixeles in PS or AI then it is the same in Buildbox. This technique is recommended by the Buildbox team and I myself am working with it and it works great.

Having said that, several users on the forum reported that you can achieve a better resolution on iPads and bigger screens (aka ATV) if you make your artwork with a ratio 2:1 or 1.6:1. Keep this in mind if you work in PS, as you would have to make this decision from the beginning. In AI you still could make everything bigger if you decide so afterwards. If your main goal are iPhones, then I think it is better to work as described above with the 1:1 ratio. @Andy several times said that the 2:1 ratio doesn't have an impact in quality (sharpness, details, etc.) BUT it will affect your game with performance. If you have anything bigger than 1:1, the processor needs to downsample everything in real-time. You also will fill your atlases very fast if you have bigger graphics. For simple and opaque graphics you can upscale in Buildbox. This will have an impact on performance but it will help you maintain the number of your atlases low. Recommended are 1-5 atlases. Less is always better.

It also makes sense to work much bigger at the beginning and after finishing your design go to 1:1. At least in Photoshop because you work with pixels. You most probably will use a lot of your designs in the marketing process later. So to save you from double work, you may consider that.

Also, there is a search function in the forum. We all started once and most questions are already answered somewhere. It is always a good idea to start looking for your answer there.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    clenard and dima.shev like this.
  3. jmmk1995

jmmk1995 Boxer

@Christoph Thank you so much for the information and advice I greatly appreciate it!!

Christoph likes this.