Game Size Very Large

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by sebb121, Jan 23, 2018.

1. sebb121

sebb121 Boxer

Hey, after exporting my Buildbox to iOS, I'm finding out that game size is exceeding 150mb.

Did some digging and found that a lot of the older sounds that I'm not using are still included in the "sounds" folder.

I am even removing the unused sound objects. Any idea why this is happening? Thanks in advance!

AppNasty likes this.
  2. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Well, if you've used remove unused sounds, make sure you go to VIEW in menu at top then ATLASES and hit OPTIMIZE. Then when its done, hit REBUILD. save. Likely its because you have a ton of unused images. Also, make sure you're not using 150 ground pieces. Make the ground either 1 image or a few. i often see people using a square texture and copying it 200 stinkin times to draw out the ground. This will slow your game down and can eat up space too.

3. sebb121

sebb121 Boxer

Hey, thanks for your reply but the sounds are in my "sounds" folder after I export to iOS. Also, I have already done this.

AppNasty likes this.
  4. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

So you're saying you removed unused sounds yet they are still in the game? I would go to each menu and remove all music...even the ones you want to keep. Remove char sounds etc....then use remove unused sounds option.. see what happens. Also, make sure you're on BB latest update 2.3.2. It solves all these issues.

5. sebb121

sebb121 Boxer

Exactly. The crazy thing is that it's removed from my list, but it remains in the export, which is why the game is so large.

Attached Files:

6. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Maybe its a corrupt bbdoc. Try save as, name it something new. [gamename2.bbdoc] exit BB. maybe restart pc/mac.....fire up BB again and load NEW bbdoc. run unused sound thing again. see what happens.

7. sebb121

sebb121 Boxer

Tried it. I've even tried swapping between two computers. Looks like I have to manually delete the unused sound files before uploading to iTunes Connect. Not ideal.

AppNasty likes this.
  8. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

I would def send the bbdoc to support@buildbox.com so they can fix the issue and add it in next update. Hey, heres an idea you probably haven't tried, send your bbdoc to a friend who uses BB and let them load it and remove unused sounds. then save, then send back. this would tell us if its a bug or just YOU. lolol.

9. sebb121

sebb121 Boxer

Not a bad idea. Thanks!

10. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

Hello, try going to the "Tools" menu and clicking on "Remove unused Sound Objects"

AppNasty likes this.
  11. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

12. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

The message is not if it says exactly that it uses the option in "Tools", so I indicated it to "Tools".
    It is possible that you have only deleted the sounds of the characters or screen, and not the optimization.

13. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I can confirm, this is a bug. Hopefully @Andy is reading this. Sounds do get removed inside the bbdoc project, but when you export, they are all in the asset folder under data/sounds as part of the project. With 'all' meaning all sounds you have ever imported into your project. This happens in the latest 2.3.2 not sure about previous versions. But definitely needs a fix.

14. sebb121

sebb121 Boxer

I do hope this issue is resolved. I've noticed that my games takes a while to save (on mac). Fine on PC.

15. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

...............lol

16. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

We'll check it out, thanks. The workaround, for now, is to unzip the BBDOC delete the sounds you don't need and zip it back up.