Game Preview not working

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Lazlow, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Lazlow

Lazlow Boxer

Trying to test levels and all I get when I hit preview is the backgrounds, which move at normal speed for about a second and then crawls to a barely perceptible speed (but they are still moving). Neither my character nor any objects in the scene appears, just the backgrounds (two images). Tried editing the game speed and other world settings but nothing changes.

Also, whenever I exit out of the preview, the background is somehow stretched/tiled over the right of the grid area, covering the play area and character area squares. It only disappears if I get out of game field mode and go back in.

Also also, the play area box changes, indicating a side scroller instead of a vertical game play direction.

On a PC, using Windows 7.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  2. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Hey @Lazlow, sounds like a Z-Layering issue. Check you have your character and object above everything else (Backgrounds) sounds obvious I know. Also, check you have a start button image. If you started from one of the tutorial demos, you need to put an image for a play/start button. Check if you're viewing the Main Menu screen or the Gamefield when you hit play?!?!

Regarding "the background is somehow stretched/tiled over the right of the grid area" this could mean you're using a landscape layout over a portrait set game, or vice versa, I can't think which :) I'm on Mac, so not familiar with PC, so it could be a bug of course, but just trying to think what else it could be.

3. Lazlow

Lazlow Boxer

Looks like that was the problem. Didn't realize that it would show the main menu screen when I hit play since I've only worked in the Game Field screen so far. I'm using a placeholder background as well, so the layout being wrong is probably the reason for that, too. Thanks!