Game Plan?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by angelina_amsterdam, Aug 6, 2018.

1. angelina_amsterdam

angelina_amsterdam Boxer

Hi everyone,

I am a complete new to game making. Is there sort of a planning for game making process?
    Or written examples with how to start planning levels, etc in the game? I could not find anything so far...
    Maybe even best practice tips and tricks?
    I realized that I don't know even how to determine the level of complexity for the game in terms of time and quantity of "enemies"... Or it should be figured out by trial and error?

Thanks for your help!

2. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Welcome! Your best bet is to head over to the buildbox YT channel. There's tons of useful content from 'how to design games', get ideas and importantly a game building series to help you understand how BB works.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgsPgU0tPJj4wdqO86u87Kw

Answering your question - this will depend on your target market. If you are looking for a ton of downloads/sales, I would create something more hyper casual to appeal to the mass market. But theres nothing stopping you making a start and adjusting as you go.

angelina_amsterdam likes this.
  3. angelina_amsterdam

angelina_amsterdam Boxer

thanks! I will check it out!!

4. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

You’re asking all the right questions so you’re off to a good start. The standard practice in game development is creating a master design document at the very beginning to define what the game is and how it will be played. Not so much as saying, “I want a jumping game with cool explosions.” Rather, you state exactly how a game is played and what makes it unique. It’s a game so you should worry about gameplay first. Cool explosions can come later and just help sell the gameplay.

Here’s a better source of what I mean than what I can type on my phone right now.
    http://seriousgamesnet.eu/assets/view/238

angelina_amsterdam likes this.
  5. angelina_amsterdam

angelina_amsterdam Boxer

this is brilliant! exactly what I need! Thank you so much for the link!