Flashlight Lighting Effect

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by appsushi, Feb 27, 2017.

1. appsushi

appsushi Boxer

I'm trying to solve an issue where a character can have a light shine in front of them and illuminate only where the beam is being focused. I tried this with lighting but now don't think that's the way to do this.

What I did next was to create an image that was all black but then transparent in the shape of the "beam" i wanted for my flashlight. The look of this is pretty perfect for what I wanted:
    headlight1.PNG
    headlight2.PNG
    The problem is...THE FREAKING THING WILL NOT MOVE NOW! AT ALL. Can't jump or move. I've tried everything I can think of and have changed the image object to decoration, platform, physics object, etc. All set to no collision / no destroy but the character won't move. I've lowered the collision shape to the tiniest square right near the character but no difference. I saw in another post attaching a weapon to a character and those two move around together just fine. I've tried to make the settings match but still no luck. The flashlight area image MUST be colliding and therefor preventing it from moving but why when it's set to no collide/ no destroy?

Is there a way to make this work that I"m missing???

Wario likes this.
  2. appsushi

appsushi Boxer

Dummy here...solved my own issue. For anyone else butting their head against the wall on this, the answer is so simple. When you draw the connection between the character and the image, start drawing with the character and draw the line to the image, NOT the other way around. :oops: