Fiverr Licenses Questions

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Jsaetern1297, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Jsaetern1297

Jsaetern1297 Boxer

When I hire a designer to do game art and I pay for the source file and commercial license as well does that make it 'Mine' ? Or does that just allow me to make changes to the art that I see fit when necessary and use in a game?

I just want to know if the unique art I personally requested can be redistributed or not. Is there an exclusivity or a copyright/trademark of the art I need to personally request or is that just a given with each order.. Am a New fiverr customer but reading here and there and these questions are still unanswered.

Would appreciate any and all helpful responses, thank you.

2. BossGames

BossGames Boxer

hey man any questions you have would be best to ask the art designer that you would hire

Some art designers you can buy their work as a starting point for your creation which is like temples and other they give you the full rights for their art which usually cost more

Hope that helps i am not 100% sure but I think that's how it work tell me know if you hire any aritist good luck

3. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

If you pay them to create something from scratch then you own it. You should always verify this with them and maybe have them sign a NDA

4. JustWatchApps

JustWatchApps Avid Boxer

This depends on the agreement. If you pay someone to create something 'from scratch' you may still only have the right to use it for the one project it was created for. Re-use, modification, etc. is another level. I would be surprised if the right to sell it as art on its own would be granted.

It all depends on what you agree on with the creator.

5. Jsaetern1297

Jsaetern1297 Boxer

Under terms of service from Fiverr I pulled these quotes from the 'Ownership' section, but during a recent conversation with a graphic designer for game art his gig did not mention anything about extra for exclusivity just commercial license which has to be purchased if it's not included in basic gig and I understand that but he tried to charge me for 'Exclusivity' when that was not mentioned as an 'Extra' so it should've been deemed mine upon completion of order.. or am I wrong.

"Ownership and limitations: Unless clearly stated otherwise on the sellers Gig page/description, when the work is delivered, and subject to payment, the buyer is granted all intellectual property rights, including but not limited to, copyrights for the work delivered from the seller, and the seller waives any and all moral rights therein."
    "For removal of doubt, in custom created work (such as art work, design work, report generation etc.), the delivered work shall be the exclusive property of buyer, and seller assigns all rights, title and interest in the delivered work."

andre_sprs likes this.
  6. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

That makes sense to me. If you have an idea and pay someone to bring that idea to life then why should they be entitled to your exclusive property.
    I think that you are right in regards to the designer not specifying his terms clearly but I think that you should try to work it out with them, especially if they are a great designer.