Falling Through Platform/getting Stuck Or Caught On Platform

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Solvash, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Solvash

Solvash Boxer

Hello! First time Buildbox user here. Two of my friends and I have been collaborating on a runner type game for the past month or so. And we've run into a snag time and time again. I've tried to change everything I can think of to fix this problem. When I preview the game, occasionally I'll fall through the floor! What's curious is that it doesn't seem to happen consistently. It also only seems to happen when I preview the game on my window's laptop.

What makes this really confusing is that when one of my friends tries to preview it on their mac laptop they have yet to see the same problem. Instead, they get an entirely different glitch in which they'll occasionally get caught on the floor and not be able to continue until you jump.

We've also exported the game onto our two iPhones and my android phones. I've encountered the falling through the platform glitch on my android phone, and have yet to get stuck on the

I'm fairly certain that these two glitches are related. And my closest guess is that it comes down to how we decided to use platforms. We're building a graphically intensive game and for our runner we created modular platforms to suit the needs of the scene's design. Here's an example here: https://puu.sh/qrc8l/075a97d1de.png
    Here's an example of the platforms and character without debug mode: https://puu.sh/qrcXo/c3b82bb1c7.png

So I just place down platforms as needed to get the scene length I want. I feel as though its at the joints where the platforms meet that the glitches occur. But I still don't understand why it's happening. I've been very careful to make sure the platform hitboxes are all even. I've also made sure that the main character's hitbox is also flat to match with the platforms. I've also experimented with overlapping platforms as well as making platforms perfectly match up to try and fix the problem. (Like here: https://puu.sh/qrd39/9b674fc630.png ) But it didn't seem to help either way.

I may just have to make all our platform assets decorations. And then put down an invisible platform that is stretched out to the necessary lengths to make one uniform platform. I feel like that'd probably solve the problem. But does anyone have any idea why this happening??

I've also been working on Buildbox 2.2.2.

2. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

For the "bug" that your character gets stuck move the bottom right corner of the collision shape of your character just 1 pixel (or a little more) to the top. The problem occurs when the bottom line of your collision shape is an exact horizontal line and your next platform is a little bit above the previous one.

For the "bug" that the character falls through the platform check when it occurs with the debug mode. Are you sure it happens with the platforms shown in the screenshot? Because as it is it shouldn't occur. But I can imagine that you have another platform and the collision shape is not the same width as the platform itself...

bmsingha and heathclose like this.
  3. Solvash

Solvash Boxer

I've changed my character's collision shape like you suggested and it actually seems to have fixed both of the problems I was encountering! Thanks for the tip. It was a really obvious solution that I should have thought of.

And for the record, those are the only platforms that our game has (except simple recolors). And when I have checked the preview using the debug mode, it did seem like the only times my character fell through the ground were at the seams where two platforms met. I really do wonder why it happened though. I was very careful to make sure that the platform collision boxes matched up perfectly when using snap movement, at least for the top "running" surfaces.

But, like I said, adjusting the character's hitbox seemed to do the trick. So thanks again!

Christoph likes this.
  4. Muntaser

Muntaser Boxer

can you tell me how did you adjusting the character's hitbox?
    can you explain with pics
    i've same issue:(