Error With Obstacles On Iphone 5

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by ajcoryat, Jun 30, 2016.

1. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

I am about ready to release a new game, but the obstacles are not displaying at all on the iPhone5.
    They do display on my iPhone6 and iPad Air 2.
    This shows the importance of testing on real devices. The simulator showed the game fine on all size devices.
    Have a look at this comparison video of the game with an iPhone6 & 5.
    Has this happened to any of you?

2. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Wow there should be no reason why it should be any different on two devices. Much less on a iPhone 5 and 6 which share the same screen ratio. I could understand if it somehow moved between a phone and a tablet. But this ... speechless. Are you sure you installed the same IPA?

3. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

There are several things you can try:

1) Clean Xcode project
    2) Delete derived data
    3) Export into a clean directory
    4) Delete the previous binary from your phone before installing a new one

It's not out of the question for a testing device to get jacked a bit... although this particular problem is weirder than normal I would say.

4. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

They both had the same ipa from TestFlight.
    This was a first time install on the iPhone 5. So #4 isn't an issue.
    I don't understand what #2 and #3 mean or how to do this :(

5. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Try directly to the phone from Xcode (via USB) if you can.

- Is the bundle ID one that you've never used before?
    - Do you have another iPhone 5 you can try it on?
    - What version of iOS is it running?

#2:
    https://iosdevcenters.blogspot.com/2015/12/how-to-delete-derived-data-and-clean.html

#3:
    meaning re-export the project from Buildbox but just verify you are doing it into an empty directory (this shouldn't be an issue but try it just in case).

6. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

@Andy
    -Yes it is a new BundleID
    - This was the first time testing this game on this iPhone5
    - At first it was iOS8.2.3 then I upgraded to iOS9.3.1 and tried again. Same problem.
    Thanks for the link

7. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

I did what you said with the Derived Data and hard clean, no luck.
    This is what I got from support@buildbox.com :
    --------------
    So in our testing on our end we could not reproduce any issues on iPhone 5. So that issue may appear local or be in relation to the iPad 3 advice we have below that I got back from the team:
    "The shadows didn't appear on iPad 3, we think this is most likely an optimization/performance issue. It appears you've got too many atlases but can optimize down to 7 right away by just pressing button. You could easily get rid of 2-3 more atlases and that should clear up the issue for most devices. Unfortunately we don’t have the option to force shadows on when memory is taxed. We might need to do that at in the future for games that REQUIRE shadows."
    --------------------

I also tried optimizing atlases. Re-exported. Still no luck. I have also had it tested on other iPad3 and iPhone5. On the iPad3 the obstacles appeared only once. I really don't know what else to do. Should I send it to a Dev to scour through the code to try and figure it out? This game should have been released by now. Very frustrating.

8. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

If I remember correctly you have 15 or so atlases, you really need to get this down to 4-5 at most IMHO.

9. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

Why do large buildbox games lag, and not for example a 1.5 GB gameloft game, or a 150 MB Unity3d game? Do you guys have future updates that will fix the performance significantly?

10. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Right now we are load all of the images are loaded into memory. This works well for smaller games but does not work so well for larger games. We are working on a dynamic loading system but it is still some time away from being implemented. Even with the dynamic system it will still be important to keep in mind the basic concepts of making and optimizing graphics for games. The same concepts that apply to non-Buildbox games apply to Buildbox as well.

95% of the time if there is an issue like this it can be addressed fairly easily by properly optimizing your atlases. This includes using the automatic optimizations that Buildbox provides but also understanding that when you have duplicate or overly large images in your project it can impact performance in a bad way. Every Buildbox game we have done to my knowledge uses max 3 atlases, and only 1 in many cases. There are a lot of tricks you can used to reduce size and quantity of your atlases and therefore reducing the memory consumption. There are several threads in the forum that deal with this.

trygii likes this.
  11. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

I have used the optimize button and it is now down to 6 atlases. But this has not solved the anomaly of not displaying obstacles on two devices. I am at a loss as to what to do next.

12. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

You have a lot of duplicate images in the atlases. If you are unable to unsure of how to fix that you can check with support (as we would need the latest copy of your BBDOC to help). There are many threads already that deal with best practices and optimizing images manually.