Default Gameplay Type - Lock Star

Discussion in 'Gameplay' started by AceTrio, Oct 6, 2018.

1. AceTrio

AceTrio Boxer

(My version - BuildBox 2.3.6.0 - latest as of 7-Oct-2018)

Hey all!

I am new to BuildBox and I've gone through the basic tutorial videos as well as the Make Your Own Game videos. These videos give me good knowledge on the very basics of BB. But I'm still very confused about Characters / Objects and their attributes.

So i want to go through each of the default gameplay types to understand the logic behind each of them, starting with Lock Star.

Please help me with the below questions:

1) Can someone help summarise how the overall mechanics work?
    - I can vaguely understand how the mechanics work but am unable to pinpoint which object starts the whole chain action.

2) 'Lock Pop' Object:
    - Does this serve any functional purpose other than for the stylus character to move long the circle? If so can this be set to Decoration instead of Platform?

3) How does the Star randomly appear along the circular Lock Pop?

Thank you in advance.

Rgds,
    David

2. Frederik

Frederik Boxer

No one have replied, so I'll try to investigate it:

In my opinion chain reaction starts with 'World UI' where player controls are:

Action button - starts prepared action: 'Starts Game'
    Character button - function 'Shoot' - works with Star object (Spawner) - Spawns new Star when shooting
    Switch button - changes angular velocity of character (player) = 'Stylus' trough 'Advanced Move' component

Stylus is 'player' = character. Is off-center, so if rotate, acts like analog clock. Switch button is changing it's angular speed. His health is 500. Some components are not necessary here (Damage is not needed).

'Spins star' = rotates automatically, holds star spawner (Star) on link

If you turn on debug objects in preview mode, you can investigate more what is happening. For instance (3.) How star is randomly appearing.

'Lock Pop' object: You can test it if it is needed by removing it and play preview. It looks it is just decoration.

'Freezes game' action: object in scene to freeze game (by Time Warp 0 I guess).
    Action button with action 'Starts Game' unfreezes it (somehow, Time Warp set to 0 starts game same way...)

Transform: Destroy Character Left,
    Transform: Destroy Character Right,
    Destroy Character Left,
    Destroy Character Right
    These 4 objects controls when player (stylus) take damage. Transforms moves 'destroy object' away (position modifier) so it can not deal damage.

It seems in this project there are couple unused objects / actions which is not perfect for a template game.
    Ehm, what about some simpler template for start?

3. AceTrio

AceTrio Boxer

Hi Frederik, really appreciate you taking time to investigate. Will have to slowly digest what you have written.
    Thank you!

4. AceTrio

AceTrio Boxer

Hi Frederik, I've read through your post, and helped me understand much more about the game, thanks!
    One thing I don't understand - how does the game die? What is the trigger?

5. Frederik

Frederik Boxer

Two objects that are directly responsible for dealing damage are 'Destroy Character Left' and 'Destroy Character Right'. They have 'Damage' component attached, with 500 damage to character. When player moves near them, one is moved to (10000,100000) with 'Transform 2' and other kills you if you move too far without changing direction. On direction change, these objects re-spawns again.
    This is the system as far as I know. I think it can be done simpler, but it is what it is.