Dare the Monkey (work in progress) and Dev Blog

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by alan_caleb, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Phoebe

Phoebe Serious Boxer

Please please make a Android Version too :) .....

2. alan_caleb

alan_caleb Boxer

I'm currently working on an iPhone, Apple TV and Apple Watch version of the game. The Android version will be next on my list. I just need to gather together enough Android test devices to ensure that it will run well across a fairly large range of phones and tablets.

Phoebe likes this.
  3. alan_caleb

alan_caleb Boxer

My solution requires a separate game over UI for each level and a unique score multiplier.

eyal likes this.
  4. alan_caleb

alan_caleb Boxer

I've uploaded a video to Vimeo showing how I did the percentage complete label on the Game Over screen. I hope you find it useful.

5. simontt

simontt Boxer

Hi Alan
    That is very clever way to get the % done. And can't wait to play your game, it look super sharp and extremely high quality graphic. Just too perfect overall. :) How many level in total? Even if you charge for the download i will buy it. Really can't imagine how huge the effort you put in this game. Good luck

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  6. harislatif

harislatif Avid Boxer

Oh man thanks a lot!

7. alan_caleb

alan_caleb Boxer

Thanks Simon, I'm pleased you found it useful. I'll probably start making some more videos outlining a bunch of other techniques I've used in my game. The final game will have 9 campaign levels, 9 coin dash levels and 3 long run levels at launch. There will also be 5 characters with possibly more coming later. It was initially designed as a payed game but I've spent a lot of time changing it to a freemium.

8. Trudeau

Trudeau Boxer

Amazing graphics! @alan_caleb Did you create the art yourself? Are the graphics a true 3D and then just saved as images and image sequences?

9. alan_caleb

alan_caleb Boxer

Hi @Trudeau , yes I created the art and it's all build in Maya / Zbrush and then rendered out as sprites. I generally then take the images into Photoshop and resize them and do other operations such as colour correction. I generally render out multiple passes for each frame such as (diffuse, specular, ambient occlusion and depth) which I then play around with in Photoshop to arrive at the final result.

playsgames6666 likes this.
  10. ptearnest

ptearnest Boxer

This is great dude! Great job!

11. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Dude this is awesome!
    Just a small feedback: In my opinion if player completes the level you should not display "Game Over" but rather "Level Completed" or "Congratulations!" or something similar. When I see "Game Over" I usually think something went wrong...
    Otherwise cool stuff, very cool!

12. alan_caleb

alan_caleb Boxer

The game isn't a true endless runner and does have individual levels which can be completed. So in this regard getting killed really is Game Over. If the player survives the level they get a Level Complete screen and if they complete all the levels they get a 'Congratulations' screen. I do agree that Game Over is a bit negative and perhaps out of date somewhat with how games seem to work these days. Maybe I should change it to 'try again' or ' nearly there' or something. It's a really good point and I'll definitely have a think about it.

ramiucef likes this.