Create fading BG effect similar to SKY game

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by David D, Oct 7, 2015.

1. David D

David D Boxer

Hi folks
    I've been trying to create a BG fading effect similar to the top of the gameplay screen in the game SKY. While playing SKY, everything fades before hitting the top edge. So far any transparent layers I've created haven't come close to creating the effect I'm looking for. Anyone know any ways to accomplish this?

2. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

use an image that fades into transparency to hide the text (or anything else).. then move the image to reveal the text. But I don't think this can be done on a menu screen yet. keep in mind that SKY is using a very early version of Buildbox 2.0.

Just realized that is not quite what you are asking, but I think you could apply this principle to the gameplay screen as you would not need to move the image.

Jamie likes this.
  3. David D

David D Boxer

Thanks Andy. So it sounds like Its just a matter of creating the correct background image using fade/transparency layers. My GIMP/photoshop skills are sorely lacking so I'll need to do some research on this. Anyone have any tips?

4. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

Fade into darkness. Tiny Avicii joke..
    Do what Andy says. I think I managed to do it in iDraw a while ago. I bet Pixelmator for Mac does it easily.

5. sappz

sappz Guest

oooh so the next version is 2.0 Well I guess things will get exciting by then. Hope you release it around October. Thanks for the info.

As for the topic. see the image below. And try using this on your screen as a background(And on top of all backgrounds). Maybe this'll help out create that effect. :)

Attached Files:

David D likes this.
  6. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Buildbox 2.0 might be out by the end of the year. It won't be October or November for sure. In the meantime we're still working on Buildbox 1.x.

7. sappz

sappz Guest

Thanks for the reply @Andy