Character Sticking to Points

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by mojpoj, Nov 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

In the attached image, you can see my character (a ball here) is stuck to the purple point.

The jump has to be timed almost perfectly to land on that point, but it's not that hard. When it does hit the point, it sticks, sometimes I can press the jump button and it comes loose, other times I can't get it to jump.

I've tried changing the geometry of the objects to no avail. I tried rounding the corners a bit by adding points, that only made it worse. I've seen this in some of my test projects too.

Look at the debug colors, the collision shapes are all that matter. You can see the ball just sitting on the edge. I offset the collision shape to make the ball appear to be in the middle of the iso blocks.

BB 1.3.5
    Win 7

Attached Files:

2. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

It wasn't a matter of the collision shape. I thought maybe a setting, so toyed with the platform friction, previously set a 50%.

Changed Platform Friction to zero and the problem is gone, with no other ill effects that I see yet.

ruhm64 likes this.
  3. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Yep that is the physics engine... I believe BuildBox uses Box2D physics engine, but others behave similar like Chipmunk which I had similar problem with (another project outside of BuildBox). Friction is a good way to eliminate, also you can try to add a tiny little bounce which is hard to notice by human, but big enough to "bounce off" that edge...