Character Health Component

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by CHAF, Jul 3, 2016.

1. CHAF

CHAF Boxer

Hey guys...
    Trying to use the health component for characters properly but it is a bit buggy

Here are 2 issues I have noticed:
    1. Taking Damage Sound Not Working
    2. Amount of Lives work only the first time we play the game. When we Replay/Restart the game because we died, the Lives Counter does not reset to the initial specified Value. (Example: When starting with 3 lives and expanding all of those, when we Replay the Lives counter goes back to 1)
    I could work with that if there was a way to regain Lives in some ways but I haven't found a feature for that. Being able to Replay the game with the initial value would be awesome. (Value being 3 in the example above)
    Am I missing something here or is there a work around?
    Using BB 2.2.2

Note: I was planning of using this feature in my game because it is difficult to go through a World with 1 live.
    Anyone knows if this will be fixed in a near future.

Regards

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    Deliverbo likes this.
  2. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

@Andy I thought the lives counter thing was fixed... has it reverted?

3. yushima

yushima Boxer

@heathclose where is the lives counter i cant find it anywhere how can i set it up please help

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  4. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I don't recall doing anything with lives lately... but I have a lot going on. :) We can take a look next week. Feel free to forward any examples or other info to support@buildbox.com to make sure it gets logged.

5. CHAF

CHAF Boxer

Will be greatly appreciated @Andy. Thanks

6. nico

nico Boxer

I'm still having issues with the Taking Damage Sound not playing. Any news on that?

Deliverbo likes this.
  7. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Has this actually been fixed or addressed? Right now I've been playing with the Character lives - displaying 3. Upon death, it still displays 3 but after 3 deaths, the game does go to the game over screen despite the lives saying 3.

8. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

whew... that's a toungue twister :confused:

spicedbeangames likes this.
  9. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

lol yeah. I was going to make a video but just havent the time as I'm trying to finish my game in time. Deadline clock is ticking and there's so much to do and change too :(

10. Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed Boxer

So this issue is almost 2 years old with no solution? I tried to follow this tutorial
    http://help.buildbox.com/buildbox-features/adding-lives-to-character but once the lives hit 0, they stay at 0 and never reset when I go to the main menu! How do we reset the lives? This is frustrating and honestly makes me want to give up on Buildbox.

11. Marcus Reed

Marcus Reed Boxer

I figured out the solution! By adding another navigation button on top of a return to MAIN MENU button, setting it’s opacity to 0, setting the function to reset settings and unchecking “Block touch through”, it resets the lives and brings me back to the main menu screen! I hope this solution can help other people.

12. maxcar

maxcar Boxer

Hi all! I'm having the same problem. I followed the same tutorial and I'm using checkpoints to set 3 lives but when I reach 0 continue opportunities and hit restart it still remains at 0, not resetting back the 3 lives, which doesn't make sense.
    @Marcus Reed your solution is good but it's not working for me. I'm using coins and level points to give the character progress. So after hitting the reset button I get everything down to 0 (e.g. coins and best level records).

I was thinking of putting an element the character hits at the start scene that gives back the 3 lives but I cannot figure this out. I'm still looking for a workaround.
    I hope they release a fix soon. It would make sense to use the health component and add lives there, and then maybe have an event observer that looks for " life lost " so I can send the user to a continue screen. A text label that tracks the amount of lives would also make sense to show the current health in the World UI with either numbers, hearts, etc.

13. Lobsters

Lobsters Boxer

I've been struggling with this for a while, hopefully this helps someone...

I set my character up with 3 lives and on the game over screen i had a navigation button set to Restart Checkpoint. Once clicked and the game restarts my character only has 1 life instead of 3.

I changed the button to a purchase button triggering a restart checkpoint action and now when you restart the character has the 3 lives he's supposed to have :D

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018