Cavern (Available Now from the AppStore!)

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by Lee Fellows, Nov 3, 2015.

1. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Thanks for the explanation :)

Lee Fellows likes this.
  2. deondup

deondup Boxer

Awesome game!!

How did you do the backgrounds and color transitions ?

Lee Fellows likes this.
  3. Lee Fellows

Lee Fellows Boxer

Backgrounds are layered images with transparency moving at different speeds to create a parallax effect...
    And the colours are created using lighting effects from within buildbox... You will need to play with layering and tweak colours and positions to give more gradient

deondup likes this.
  4. Kamil Kucma

Kamil Kucma Boxer

Looks cool, good luck with the launch! ;-)

Lee Fellows likes this.
  5. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

Looks very polished -- looking forward to downloading it at midnight!

Lee Fellows likes this.
  6. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

Congrats looking forward to playing it

Lee Fellows likes this.
  7. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Congrats for the Buildbox Games release! Playing it now. Very nice game and very well made. It just feels right. Physics, colors, characters, music and SFX. Hope it gets a feature! Going for the High-Score by Trey Smith now. :D

Can I ask why you didn't put banner ads in the game and only interstital and video interstitials? Very interesting choice. Also, it would have been great to see a distance score which for this type of game is common I think. Why did you go with the diamants score?

Congrats again! Great work.

Lee Fellows likes this.
  8. darone

darone Boxer

congrats @Lee Fellows for the launch, awesome graphics. i first tought this is trey's game for the tvos, turn out to be yours :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    Lee Fellows likes this.
  9. Lee Fellows

Lee Fellows Boxer

Can never polish enough!
    After submission, wanted to polish more... Had deadline to meet... Hope is polished enough to get a sweet spot in the store today :)

Jamie likes this.
  10. Lee Fellows

Lee Fellows Boxer

Adverts were left to BBG, and very glad no banner during the gameplay... Was worried that a banner at bottom would ruin players experience...
    Diamonds made sense in a cave/cavern... And did not want classic coins, rings, stars, etc...
    This was used as score rather than distance to keep the game and UI simple... Plus is different from the common scoring in most games... & I like different....

Jamie likes this.
  11. Lee Fellows

Lee Fellows Boxer

Will be on Apple TV and Mac soon...

12. Lee Fellows

Lee Fellows Boxer

I will give you all a day before I go for the highscore ;)
    My average game is about 50-60 diamonds... Currently @Collin Wade Thiessen is top ;)

Collin Wade Thiessen likes this.
  13. steve

steve Avid Boxer

Hi Lee, congratulations on the launch, good luck with downloads and I hope you get featured. Pave the way for the rest of us;-)

I'm a point behind you on the leaderboard and that's without you trying:(

Regarding the scoring, I just wandered why you decided to only put the best score on the game over screen rather than also show the score for the game that just ended?

14. Simon Crack

Simon Crack Avid Boxer

Looks awesome downloading now! Congrats :)

Lee Fellows likes this.
  15. Lee Fellows

Lee Fellows Boxer

Hope you enjoy playing!

16. steve

steve Avid Boxer

That's better I'm just behind Trey now. I can live with that:) It's a fun game. Well done.

I've not used different characters in a game yet, but it seems a bit random as to which one gets unlocked. Is that how it's supposed to work? I know I had the same issue when I was trying to unlock the dragon in Sky (I ended up with a unicorn).

Lee Fellows likes this.
  17. Lee Fellows

Lee Fellows Boxer

Yes character unlock is random... It would be good if this could be made clearer...
    But in the game we have no names and lock icon for all, so nobody would feel like they are choosing a character when unlocking...

I felt a tini bit annoyed when tried to unlock unicorn in Sky and got the heart... but was lucky to get unicorn on 2nd unlock...

But with my game I took away the names and hid characters so is all unknown... I think this works best if want to use the random unlock feature currently in BB...

18. Lee Fellows

Lee Fellows Boxer

Also the other thing for me in Sky was that as soon as I had unlocked the character I wanted, I lost interest quickly... This was mainly due to the fact that I am not very good at Sky, and felt that there was no progression for me or levels were going to change into something different... I played for a while hoping levels may change or progress...

So this also made me choose to have character names & shape hidden so that people would want to unlock all of the characters... :)

19. steve

steve Avid Boxer

Yeah I think you did the right thing making them unknown before they unlock. It was strange as the first character I unlocked was the 2nd one in the line, then when I went to do the next one I thought I'd get the 3rd one in the line but instead got the 7th and the next time the 8th. Wasn't sure if it was a bug with BB or intended that way.

Tempted to pay for the no ads, just to shut that woman up from keep asking me if I want to trade on the global financial markets. I keep telling her I don't, but she keeps on asking:)

Lee Fellows likes this.
  20. steve

steve Avid Boxer

I think maybe you could have set the unlock values higher. I played for around half an hour and unlocked 7 of the characters.

Chris Goodman and Lee Fellows like this.