Can't connect to server

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by odigames, May 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. odigames

odigames Boxer

Anyone have the same problem? I got 4 times in just 30 minutes the message "Can't connect to server" and then BB shut's down :( I can luckily save the project each time but it is annoying...

My internet connection is 100% Up and working BTW

2. reegannaidoo

reegannaidoo Boxer

Hey Man,
    Having the same issues here, we initially just past it off as a poor internet connection.... but i guess its a BB2 issue.
    Our Internet connection is also working 100% - BTW

3. michaelfriel1988

michaelfriel1988 Boxer

Also experiencing this issue.

4. clin407

clin407 Boxer

Wait. I need to have an internet connection to use this? So if I'm in an area with bad internet or no internet, I cannot work on BuildBox?

5. Kadri246

Kadri246 Avid Boxer

My internet is working and for the love of me I cannot get BB to open without displaying this and shutting down :mad:

@clin407 Exactly. :(

6. INKY

INKY Avid Boxer

Ahhhh so it's not my internet after all. I have this very frequently as well but I'm on satellite so I assumed it was me. Wish there was a 3-5 day login and play feature where BB doesn't constantly look for a server. It's not like it's a demo we are using...it's actual done paid for or paying under a commitment.

$.02

7. andreas_kviby

andreas_kviby Avid Boxer

But why does Buildbox demand Internetconnection? There is no need for this except looking for updates for software but this can be handled in a much more better way for users. I get this a lot and have lost a lot of work because it's just closing the software.

INKY likes this.
  8. INKY

INKY Avid Boxer

Big +1. You basically end up getting closed...have to open..then close so you can open the original file...super annoying.

9. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Same here... BB1 has no problem connecting to the server while BB2 can't do that. @Andy I think this is still of an issue and it seems it is BB2 related. When first time opened BB2 there was no problem at all. Then it crashed when was trying to export to iOS target. After that reopening BB2 brings up the server connection message box. I have tried from both cable internet and mobile internet, it is not internet connection issue. And as mentioned BB1 is problem free in the meanwhile.

(My ticket number is: 47054)

10. siddhupol

siddhupol Boxer

Hi same issue here ,

11. INKY

INKY Avid Boxer

Just thought I would come here and visit since I forgot my tether to my phone...so I have no internet on Mac...and so I cannot connect to server...which means I can't use Buildbox...just sayin...

12. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Best thing I can say for this issue is that each person who has this issue is to open a support ticket if it persists. This will get the issue more visibility.

Nihat and Christoph like this.
  13. INKY

INKY Avid Boxer

I did open a ticket...nicely asked "what's the deal" basically....it IS a piracy issue. I suggested a 3-5 day login confirmation and let us work. It will be considered in the "future".

Let's all hit em up for something along these lines. It's not a feature request...it's not a bug to squash. We just ha e to ha e some numbers to get the attention on this here issue.

1,2,3 GO !

Christoph likes this.
  14. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

Here's what I wrote to support:

Several times per day my BB2 project shows up a message that it can't connect to server.
    My iMac is connected to a fiber optic 25 mbps internet 24/7.
    So, every time I step away from the computer and the screen goes to sleep I'm facing this problem?
    I know you have this but in to stop the hackers who are stealing your code. But they have figured a way around that already. Believe me. They can disable your ping to server. I've seen it.
    Yeah, there are a lot of hackers and cheapsters out there. I understand. They "always be hacking'"
    But this affects my work-flow when I have to press OK, then do I want to save, "yes" and BB2 shuts down. Then I have to relaunch.
    How about adding in that dialogue box that says "can't connect to server - OK" add one more button... RECONNECT
    How long does it take to ping your server for a response? Seconds? And if your server went down, we'd all be screwed.
    This would save a lot of user frustration.
    Also, how about changing the time for the ping to once every 24 or 48 hours?
    That would at least allow me to work offline (say on a long-haul flight)
    This is not hard to do.

15. INKY

INKY Avid Boxer

+1000....I also suggested a few days work flow to be able to work offline during lunch periods or waiting during a tire change...whatever..."we may do something like that in the future"

The future is now...please consider again this is so annoying.

16. mxstudios

mxstudios Boxer

Well I guess this is my answer to support request I sent in. I'm traveling to Europe and hoped to work on the plane and while there with minimal Internet. How can the software require an Internet connection? So if the license server goes down, no one can work, ever? We pay once a month. Just renew the license each month when payment is processed and occasionally check. If software passes expiration date without connecting, then disable. Adobe doesn't require you to be connected just to use their suite?

Not happy about this.

17. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

I have not heard anyone who is happy about this. We paid for the software and yet we are the one punished if there is no internet connection. I really hope this will be fixed in the near future.

18. INKY

INKY Avid Boxer

My usage during the day has dropped to zero...no internet. My nights are busy and daytime at lunch or in between jobs was my work time.

19. mxstudios

mxstudios Boxer

It's one thing for those of us that are paying monthly, but to spent thousands on a one time purchase of a piece of software and not be able to use it 24/7 is crazy. Many companies have come up with licensing solutions, as well as myself for products I have created. Imagine a scenarios where the company goes out of business. This has happened. They had to leave a licensing server active so paid users could continue to work.

In my recording studio I have software that validates with the server and permanently authorizes it. It uses a third party licensing product called "Authorizer". If you have NOT authorized the computer, you can use Internet verification for that session. My biggest fear with their software was performing live and not being able to authorize. That would be bad :)

From their FAQ:

What kind of copy protection does XXXXXX use? How about Rack Extensions? In XXXXX we’ve added a new way of authorizing the software. You can authorize your licenses to a single computer, for offline use. This way you can use Reason without being connected to the Internet, or without a USB port taken up by the key. To authorize your computer for offline use, please login to Your Account and click the Authorize button.

This is one way to do it, but there are also many licensing products that will allow a window of time before it requires another check.

BB is a great piece of software, but I never would have paid outright for it because if this licensing issue. I can deal with dishing it out monthly, but it would be like buying a car that stops moving when the sun is blocked.... Or one that you can't turn off because you won't be able to start again if it can't access the Internet :)

Last thing I'll say is that I would even pay a small monthly premium for offline capability when needed. Or to purchase an offline license key that lasts lets say a week or so. We know it already exists in the free trial.

20. INKY

INKY Avid Boxer

I will never buy outright a software requiring a continuous server connection to use...even steam has an offline mode...