Can Scaling Up Decrease Performance?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Forgive, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Forgive

Forgive Boxer

Hello,

I want to scale up objects to keep atlas minimum. I mean rather putting 75x75 pixel png. I will put 25x25px and multiply object with 3.

Then, is it good or bad to enhance performance to get best FPS?

2. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

Yeah, smaller file size will do it. But also it depends on how many objects you have present on the scene. Before exporting your game, you can optimize your atlases and in BB2 only you can convert to global clones certain objects that are static and not used for anything. This will also improve performance. But if you convert to clones, you have to backup your original file, because once you do it, there's no going back to un-clone them :D

3. Forgive

Forgive Boxer

Thanks for your response. I read all the internet but could not understand "convert to global clones". What does it mean? Can you explain step by step?

4. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

Global clone is Buildbox 2 feature. It strips off property configurations of similar objects to reduce file size and increase performance. In Buildbox 3, we do not have Global Clones implemented yet.

When select an object inside your world UI, go to the Edit or Tools or View (do not remember which one was it) -> Global Clones - by doing so, you no longer can set properties into that cloned project and it will convert the selected object (and all others like it) in your game as a clones.

Itzo

Forgive likes this.
  5. Forgive

Forgive Boxer

Q1 - What do you mean by similar objects? What makes object similar or not? Can you give an example?
    Q2 - What is the difference between Convert to Clones and Convert to Global Clones?

6. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

When you select an object and press Convert to Global Clones, it will reduce the size of this object that is already present on other scenes. Example: Ground or road, trees, decorations of some sort in the game. When convert to Global Clones, it affects all scenes and the entire game. Before using Global Clones, backup your project.

In one of my games, I had a tile road... the road consisted to tiles next to each other, when hit a global clone on the selected tile, it converts all other tiles to clones, this is what I mean by “similar objects” :) It optimized them further, but once you clone then, you no longer can edit their properties. That’s why you have to backup.

Where as Convert to Clones, clones the object in the selected scene, not in the other scenes. So it is scene specific.

Forgive likes this.
  7. Forgive

Forgive Boxer

One more question,

What is this?

https://prnt.sc/pgdvqp

26 = number of objects.
    60 = fps.
    0.001 = ?? No information on the internet about this.

8. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

I have no idea what's 0.001.