Camera Won't Track Downwards

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Phill Mason, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

I'm playing around with a landscape platformer with a platform on the ground and one around the middle of the screen. The character can jump long and wide if you hold down jump button and the camera tracks the character nicely when he goes high, but it won't return to ground level again.

I have the camera set to pass in all directions.

Q: Any ideas why the camera won't track back to the ground?

Jayant Mall and netkomm like this.
  2. stevendelarwelle

stevendelarwelle Boxer

I have the same issue.

3. netkomm

netkomm Avid Boxer

noticed that too last night...

4. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

Guys not sure I get what you mean with the camera tracking is this what you're trying to do?

Phill Mason likes this.
  5. Phill Mason

Yup, that's it @wayne_martell, doesn't seem to be a problem for you as you're returning nicely to the floor again.
    Here's a video demonstrating what I'm experiencing.

6. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

All I did was have the game frame as small box in the center of the screen and make sure the side and back Deletion threshold are big enough to cover the entire level.

7. Phill Mason

I'll look at those @wayne_martell, cheers.

8. Phill Mason

Yup, it certainly seems that tightening up the camera frame and playing around with its position has made a difference. You do have to finely tweak the settings though, as adjusting the Back & Sides Del Threshold can vary greatly depending on how high your character can jump off the highest platform etc.

E.G if you're standing on your top platform which is set at 500px height, and you jump 300px in height, you will manage to jump within an 800px Side Del Threshold setting if your platform is anywhere above the 0px mark on the ground. If however you have a platform lower than 0px, lets say -150px below the 0 ground level, then you would need to increase the Side Del Threshold to at least 950px to allow your character to drop to that below ground platform.

I've had a good play around with this for the last hour or so and these are my findings. If anyone has more to add, please chime in, the more the merrier :)

9. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

And remember the jump animation doesn't work in BB2 not for windows version a least. Great you got it going !!!
    Plus you need to put in the Event Observer on the game field UI and set event type to "Game Over".

10. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

The camera frame has to be in the center and really small too.. :) For our shooting platformer game we set our back and side threshold to 9000px so that this game can be a real adventure with different levels all over :)

11. Jayant Mall

Jayant Mall Boxer

Guys has anyone found a solution to the camera not tracking downwards yet?