Building Complex 3d Assets In Bb3

Discussion in 'Buildbox 3.0' started by Paul Ingram, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Paul Ingram

Paul Ingram Boxer

Hello Boxers!
    Perhaps you've struggled like me to create and import 3D characters with the proper material formats. There's someone out there that's likely finding success doing this, but I've started creating my colorful characters directly inside BB3. There's some benefits to do it this way at the bottom of the screen. Here's what I made....

Bunny.png

I began by combining, shaping, and colorizing 3D objects in the 3D World. This made it possible to see what I was making. Each object, as you know, has a set of configurations that determine how and where it appears in a scene. For example, the nose of this little bunny looks like the image below when viewing the Model Settings:

Settings.png

The process is to drag objects into the scene and move, color, stretch... until you're happy with your model. Choose the main object to be the Asset inside which all other objects will be added. Then—and this is the part that requires some patience (until BB3 makes this more direct)—you reproduce each 3D object as a node inside your Asset. Perhaps I'll make a video to demonstrate this, but here's a shot of the Asset node tree for this little bunny:

NodeMap.png

Once you've added a copy of your scene object as a 3D Object node inside your Asset, you can delete it from the World. Repeat this until you've replaced all 3D objects with nodes. You can flip back and forth between the Node view and World view to make sure you're not missing a digit before you delete the original object source.

The benefits of building your 3D models directly inside BB3 is that you can now control/animate individual objects to bring life to your characters. You can also now export your model as a sharable asset, as I'm doing below (for educational use only).

Attached Files:

DanFarfan, Aga, Phil H and 5 others like this.
  2. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Paul excellent post. Thanks for doing this. A video would be most helpful too.
    Hello @ZackGriset :)

Aga, Paul Ingram and ZackGriset like this.
  3. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

This definitely can't be optimal lol

Paul Ingram likes this.
  4. Paul Ingram

Paul Ingram Boxer

Thank you, AndyG! I will put a video together as soon as possible.

5. Paul Ingram

Paul Ingram Boxer

Haha! Not at all. Hoping we can inspire the BB devs with our ambitions ;)

6. MattWills

MattWills Avid Boxer

Nice work but this is why we NEED fbx import in BB3

Paul Ingram likes this.
  7. Paul Ingram

Paul Ingram Boxer

Please!

8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Awesome stuff. This is easier in BB2 but pretty sure that this will be picked up by the BB team and implemented so you don’t have to add that many nodes.

Nonetheless well done and thanks for sharing.

Paul Ingram likes this.