Buildbox Indie - No One Is Addressing This - New Features - Documentation

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Warith, Dec 21, 2019.

?

Does Buildbox in your opinion provide adequate training and documentation?

1. Yes

12.5%
  2. No

87.5%
  1. Warith

Warith Boxer

I am happy to see the new Buildbox features, etc. but as usual there's no documentation on where this stuff is, how to use it, and we are left waiting for videos to come out or something to help us get started.

Frustrating on its own.

Elephant on the table: What about Indie subscribers like me? I know the pricing stays the same, but I can't find any of the new features in my version. I have downloaded the Free Version and it looks just like the version I always had. So does Indie get Brainboxes and the new features and themes? I contacted support but no response yet. If anyone knows, please enlighten me and other Indie subscribers because I am totally lost.

2. Sean Buildbox

Sean Buildbox Serious Boxer

Sorry for any confusion. For the record we have highly completed documentation that launched with Free and the latest updates. It can be found here: https://www.buildbox.com/help/buildbox-3-manual/getting-started/

As far as Legacy subscriptions are concerned we are honoring any current agreements/plans and will reaching out individually in the near future to completely explain all options going forward ;)

3. SimpleLife

SimpleLife Boxer

@sean so we can continue with INDIE indefinitely?
    (PRO is a little too much)

Can we run FREE and INDIE simultaneously, i.e. if we want less worlds but more scenes?
    Do all users get the latest features like smart things?

One thing that's been stopping me is I want to build 2D games in v3.
    I don't want to get in to 3D graphics and pseudo realistic imagery.
    Till now, I had to run v2 as v3 was still in beta.

Will there be ONE v3 now, that can do 2D as well?

4. Kbr954

Kbr954 Boxer

What about a pdf version of the documentation I can print out? I asked about this here 3 days ago and nobody from BB responded.

Jay Jennings likes this.
  5. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

@SimpleLife at this current time you wouldn't be able to juggle a BBDoc between the Free Version and The Indie version. the issue lies in the restrictions. people who currently use the indie plans will keep all of the price points they are paying and the restrictions.

at the moment, smart assets are updated in the versions however, we are working on an asset store that users and upload and download from.

BB2 isn't about being the 2D versions. its the old version. Buildbox 3 has capabilities of making 2D games as well as 3D games.

@Kbr954 at the moment we have Build in the Documentation into the Software as its easier for users to fine. and it is updated regularly.

SimpleLife likes this.
  6. Dan Butler

Dan Butler Boxer

Hi @Warith - I have an Indie license and am running BB3.1.2 B#3420 (Downloaded via links on this thread: https://www.buildbox.com/forum/inde...-3-1-2-beta-is-here-for-paid-customers.18187/)

I'm seeing support for iOS, Android, Windows EXE and Steam
    Available worlds: 3
    Available Sections: 45
    Branded Splash Screen: Available

It looks like the new version of BB with new templates, wizard, Brain Boxes etc. available. SDKs tab is there in Settings to allow AdMob / ironSource integration (can't confirm this is working yet as waiting for AdMob to verify my account and payment details but looks like it should work - will let you know in 24 hours or so!).

Check Buildbox > About Buildbox to make sure you are running the new version.

Hope that helps for now...

Dan

7. SimpleLife

SimpleLife Boxer

Personally $199 pa for Indie is/was the absolute sweet spot for me. I'm very grateful it is still a legacy option. Thank you!
    As one of the original V1 lifetimers at over 2K, Indie felt like enough like a maintenance fee enough to stay with the platform.

I do think that the leap from now FREE to $500pa for PRO is a BIG leap.

I think you'd get much great conversion if people like me could put their toes in the water with Indie, IF you brought it back.

I feel the barrier for tasting commercial success with the free version is too vast. Indie was/is the logical bridge between no game dev income and going all in.

I haven't run out of scenes or worlds yet, so the segregation seems about right to me so far.

V1 was SO simple it hardly needed documentation (except the templates which were a minefield and buggy).
    I'm not very happy in a 3D world with V3, so I hope you remember to keep the "hello world" training for the 2D camp.
    It's great that BB does 3D now, but it was so awe inspiring watching Trey build a 2D game in 30 minutes, in 2D.

Now even though there's no coding, there's an awful lot of moving parts as it's so modular, makes it a lot like coding!
    And as for the difference between 0 and an empty field, well...

I am finding the in-app training awkward. It's quite hard to find a linear path through it and like most developers, I don't want to watch 60 videos before I can create "hello world". I appreciate we can use a template and get our hands dirty, but there's too many dependencies now to not know what you are doing IMHO.

If there was a vote, I'd vote for the old kajabi style "course". Game dev is still quite linear AFAIC and then supplement that with the dip-in for whizz bang tricks.

JM0CW.

Dan Butler likes this.
  8. Rusted

Rusted Avid Boxer

Crossing the right BB for you is like choosing the right Apple phone