Buildbox Free Is Not Free!!!

Discussion in 'Buildbox 3.0' started by DrWho, Mar 12, 2020.

1. DrWho

DrWho Avid Boxer

It appears that BuildBox Free is only free as long as your connected to the internet! When you are NOT connected to the internet BuildBox Free is NOT Free at all!!! Nothing works period and you get the following errors as shown in the video below:

The whole idea of the word "FREE" is that it's supposed to be free! Not with hidden strings attached or exceptions to the rule. Also, my 'BuildBox Free edition' at work when trying to run it shows an activation error?!? I hadn't ran it for awhile and then when I tried to run it it says that BuildBox Free isn't activated when it was activated before! So how is it just because I hadn't used it for awhile that it suddenly became de-activated?!?? Just because I hadn't used it for a little while shouldn't have caused it to become de-activated like that... So what's the problem here BuildBox Team?

2. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

Hey there, thanks for pointing that out.

It is known that the BB software requires an active internet connection in order to start. We've requested that to be removed but that specific "feature" is in place in order to keep the cracking of the software to be done. As for the network error that is common on my side as well but if you retry 2 times that is fixed. There is no problem here, you've understand or miss reading the info from the site before trying this software.

A few things that still needs to be fixed are random crashes of the software, autosave, code helper to suggest what to write based on what you have written already etc.

Have fun with what you have!

3. DrWho

DrWho Avid Boxer

Why would a software that is supposed to be Free have to have this so-called "feature" as you so put it, in this 'Free' version of the software to prevent it from being cracked or hacked? If it's "Free" then there is no reason to crack or hack it period and your comment on this particular issue makes no sense at all!

No it is NOT FIXED either!! I've tried this several times now on my work laptop at work and my home PC and get the same thing everytime. So apparently there is a more deeper rooted issue here with this!

No I have not mis-understood anything here and have read everything before prior and have used this software before as I previously stated in my initial comment of this thread. Please re-read what I posted initially please.

How can I have fun with this software when it wont even start due to the issues shown above in this video? Your comments wasn't much help man.. :mad:

4. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

Hello again, I am not able to argue with you about the "free software requiring internet connection" it is a thing that BB does and it will stay this way... I know this sucks but there's nothing I can do to fix this.

For your key issue / network connection try to send an email to support@buildbox.com and see if they can help. Most probably you have a key issue and you could try to add the key again and if you delete some specific folder based on mac or windows but I think you did that.

Try with the email this time...

5. DrWho

DrWho Avid Boxer

This is, for example, just like the Xbox One when it first came out and required an always "ON" internet connection for the darn console to work in order to play the games on it. And it was exactly this too that caused everyone to switch over to the Sony PS4 because they didn't have that "Feature" of having to have your console "On the internet" in order for it to work!

I think I'll just have to stick with the likes of: Game Maker Studio 2 or Clickteam Fusion 2.5 as they do not require an always on authentication check on the internet to verify through BuildBox servers in order to work/function. At least these other game development software doesn't require their user's to be on the internet for them to work! It's really too bad that BuildBox team put such crippleware in their software like this. Very sad indeed! Peace...

6. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

It checks for internet connection and requires it, so you can get access to the asset library and templates on demand. There was talk of an off line version/mode coming down the pipeline but no ETA on that yet.

We all had issues when we had to reactivate - it's no big deal. I guess there's always that 1% of people who will look at things to complain about just for the sake of it. I've found the BB team to be nothing short of brilliant. They aren't here to 'steal your money' or force you to do or use their software. Enjoy using your other choices.

Codifie and Sean Buildbox like this.
  7. DrWho

DrWho Avid Boxer

It becomes a big deal when the software in question keeps losing it's activation status multiple times and then becomes an annoyance to the point where it is no fun anymore to use the software! It would be like you going out any buying a new car and naturally you would be expecting that car to perform and run great right? Well if the engine stalls several times and dies on you are you going to have that same attitude towards the car you bought and say it's no big deal when you need it and need to get somewhere after you are paying out hundreds of dollars every month in car payments? I don't think anybody would want something like that and not work right. If they did then there's something seriously wrong with them in their head if so?!

This can be applied once again to the car analogy here. You want your car to run and work great. Not work half the time with constant headaches all the time where it is more an annoyance than a pleasure of having it. And I would bet money on it that you also at one time had complaints on something your self! If you say otherwise then that would be taken as not true on your part!

I do not think the BuildBox team's software is bad at all as a design software mind you.. There is just some things about it that I do not fully agree with and I am entitled to my opinion just as you are with yours. And the other development platforms are well established as well and work well also. I have used them on various projects with good success. But I am like any one else also.. I like to look for tools that might make things easier in the long run. And I do think BuildBox has a lot of potential it just needs some minor adjustments here and there to work out the issues to make it even better is all. One again, just my honest opinion is all!

8. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

Ok, your analogy, argument, opinion is a bit skewed.
    If you got the car for FREE then you should probably expect there to be some issues. Dude, your not making car payments your not paying anything for free BB, so I have no idea why you come across as very upset. You didn’t waste any money, you paid nothing. You don’t like it. Ok. Fair enough.
    I haven’t always agreed with the BB team decisions and I have voiced my opinion here in the past. So I understand having an opinion. But..,..maybe yours is kind of skewed.

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  9. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

BB always requires an internet connection.
    If it is free, it is only to test the software, its operation and its limitations.
    One of the limitations is that it requires internet.
    If you do not want to use BB, you have the right to use other tools.
    The option to work offline is a feature always requested, but at the moment it is not possible in any case.

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  10. DrWho

DrWho Avid Boxer

Well it look's like someone from forum administration or moderation either didn't like my comment I had written in response to @Codifie or they was extremely biased obviously in other's favor and decided to remove my comment and/or opinion when there wasn't nothing wrong written in it that was obscene or offensive in anyway and was simply commenting my thoughts and feelings on here like anyone else has and would have. What's the point of being a forum member if one is not allowed to share their thoughts and feelings on certain subject matter and/or opinions without having their replies/comments removed? Obviously Censorship lives on a lot of forums as well.. Seems like nobody can voice their opinions anymore without fear of censorship and/or removal of their comments/replies. I wonder if this message too will be either Censored or Removed from here after I have written it? I guess I'll find out in time if it still remains or not?!?

11. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

We apologise for this inconvenience. To be clear. BBFree simply means that it does not cost money. As far as the Internet connection, we require connection to give you our templates and interactive tutorials. We do however understand your frustration and may find another solution in the future.

salman abbasi and Sean Buildbox like this.