Buildbox crashing is costing more and more...

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by andreas_kviby, Jun 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. andreas_kviby

andreas_kviby Avid Boxer

Today I designed the last levels of my game and when designing world 8 I just suddenly forgot to save so I designed 20 scenes in Buildbox and suddenly it crashes and all my work is gone!

@TreySmith should focus all your free time to make Buildbox autosave every 5 minutes in the file name format you choose and just add yourprojectname_000001.bbdoc and then after 5 minutes yourprojectname_000002.bbdoc and so on...

This feature can't be that hard for you and your genius staff to fix.

I just lost three hours of work and will have to redo and try to think out all scenes again.

This is not ok!

telerebor likes this.
  2. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

I asked @Andy before where the autosaves were kept but I don't remember if I got an answer, search autosaves, cuz I saw a post by @TreySmith once that had a whole list of all these auto saves that was going right to dropbox or something

3. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Buildbox takes a snapshot of the config info and saves it to a temporary directory. When coming back from a crash it attempts to recover and use the temporary data. It does not save the entire BBDOC. The directory Trey showed a while back was all periodic saves done manually. It seems we need to revisit the auto saving and we do actually have this on our list of things to do.

JoeWilson likes this.
  4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

If you are on a Mac you can use ForeverSave. This does basically what you are looking for. Not sure if something similar exist for PC. But yeah, having this integrated in BB would be awesome!

5. JoeWilson

JoeWilson Avid Boxer

ForeverSave works with Buildbox? It saves the stress too! thanks

6. andreas_kviby

andreas_kviby Avid Boxer

OH MY GOD!!! Everyone using Buildbox should buy this software. Please @TreySmith or @Andy write a blogpost about this. Or I can for you. This 19,95$ have saved me the bucks within an hour now. Thanks the best to @Christoph

Christoph likes this.
  7. heathclose

So does it save different iterations or how does it work that has you so excited as opposed to spamming ctrl s all the time?

8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

yes, it basically does ctrl s automatically at an interval you choose and saves as much or as less copies you want it to. So if you mess something up (or BB does) you can always go back to the latest working version. It makes your life a little bit easier...

9. heathclose

huh... downloaded and trying... looks promising... can save every minute... :)