Buildbox 3d: First Sneak Peek

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by Buildbox, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buildbox

Buildbox Administrator

Below is the first public video of Buildbox 3D in action:

This was created by Buildbox CTO, Nik Rudenko, using an alpha version of Buildbox 3D. Everything you see (shaders, antialiasing, shadows, reflections, etc) is all from Buildbox 3D.

Here's what it looks like in the software itself (please note this is alpha and subject to change):

[​IMG]

zouhaier, Roberto P, AaroArts and 2 others like this.
  2. m_nouri

m_nouri Boxer

Buildbox 3D added into BB v3 ?
    can you added create multiplayer options to bb v3?

3. ramiucef

ramiucef Avid Boxer

The 3D effects look amazing !

4. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Looks really cool! What's the difference in between "Out" and "Output" in the Animation Curve?

5. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

is BB 3.0 is still easy to use or is more advanced than BB 1.0 and BB 2.0 that the important question as most people using BB because it's easy even its difficult at the same time.
    From the vid, BB 3.0 look cool is they any more sneak peak i don't find this one enough I hope to get more information in near future.

6. 5petersonzachary

5petersonzachary Serious Boxer

This is going to be awesome

7. saritha

saritha Boxer

When buildbox 3D will be released? Can anyone say?

8. happydays

happydays Boxer

aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

Wow we've hit the jackpot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. fatboygames

fatboygames Boxer

Looks good, Do you have any plans for VR, AR :)

11. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

To be honest, I'm not a fan of 3D. Probably because I've never worked with it. I mean I love Pixar movies, so I might get convinced with Buildbox 3D as well. :) But here comes my BUT, a big but, haha, I don't see this working at all. I hope to be mistaken, but all 'spicy' effects in Buildbox 2 like particle, mirror or light take a lot of resources. On device they kill the experience very fast. I think mirror doesn't work at all actually. So seeing all this effects in the video and in 3D I really doubt that it will work. So until I see that this demo works in a real game with character interaction and physic objects, and in real time, I'm not impressed. It just looks like a demo from a 3D application in a very low resolution. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, the shadow seems not to be real 3D. The grass leave in the front shouldn't be affected by it because it is closer to the camera but it still gets the shadow applied nonetheless. I mean I'm very pessimistic, I know, but I'd rather have a 2D engine working at 100% instead of 2D and 3D combined working at 50%.

12. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

I absolutely agree with Christoph. 3D is really cool but would rather have a much more in-depth solid 2D engine. I also work with Unity (with a programmer) and know what a real heavy duty game engine can accomplish.

mobile_gamegraphics and Trudeau like this.
  13. DeadlySeriousMedia

DeadlySeriousMedia Avid Boxer

Yup, there are a lot of things BuildBox 2 doesn't do well yet. Just adding custom logic for advanced users would be great. I would prefer focus there but new things are more exciting and, in effect, more profitable. I get it but don't forget you 2D engine please.

Mr Goodcat, AaroArts and Trudeau like this.
  14. Trudeau

Trudeau Boxer

Totally agree with @Christoph @jerry @DeadlySeriousMedia ! I'm still confused about the mirror effect. Why even have it in the software when it doesn't work. The 3D demo does look cool, I hope it actually works and is useful.

15. Buildbox

Buildbox Administrator

There are plenty of 3D engines that don't lag on mobile, and all of our internal testing is being done on iPhone 5 with great results. It's a very different beast than 2D as it primarily runs on GPU instead of CPU. We've run that exact file posted above on an iPhone 5 and i'ts perfectly smooth. Also, we will not be abandoning 2D. In Buildbox 3, you can create a 2D world or a 3D world. When you create a 2D world, it will be very similar to how you create games now, but with some additional features and control.

16. rclegg

rclegg Boxer

Looking forward to this.

17. MattGamer

MattGamer Boxer

This looks great. Well done guys! Are we going to multiplayer in BB3?

18. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

I think it looks great.

I was going to ask if BB3 will still allow us to create 2D games, but you answered that above :D

Will we be able to import our own 3D models?

19. Keromor

Keromor Boxer

3D looks good but until the it offers more features to allow more variety of games it is lacking...

20. dani

dani Boxer

@Christoph shadow is real time bud, you can see how it goes on top of the ball on the background, i didn't had this distortion feeling personally (remember that there are different camera FOV and also orthographic that is what works best for isometric 3D games such as Monument Valley) ; is great that you are concerned though, but this is real and it's going to be glorious!

Sean Buildbox and Christoph like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.