Build box games rip off?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Rebel Studios, Oct 5, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

Chris Goodman and Jamie like this.
  2. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

There are several people like that on the Apple App store as well. When you look at their portfolio of games, it is nothing but clones, and at best, slightly tweaked clones. They do this to try to pull in money, and maybe because they are fans of the original.
    I do think that this community here with the Buildbox team means something different when we say "model and improve." It is not the same as what we see above from the D for Duck games.

3. stevinz

stevinz Avid Boxer

It is also a concern that there are people out there that will copy build box games. The one thing that shields us a bit is the price of the software. But thats all it is, copying.

I think that should just motivate us to come out with original ideas, games and designs. If our games take off, the clones will try to pick up the scraps. I think we should all be so lucky as to create a game successful enough that people want to clone it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2015
    PhLabUniverse likes this.
  4. Kevin W

Kevin W Avid Boxer

Welcome to the Appstores :) - people clone/rip most games within days - it's just part of it - There's not much to worry about really - It's never worth the time/energy unless they have "stolen" your assets and marketing material, then we'd send a complaint.

Honestly, the deeper you look you'll see the absolute magnitude of it, we've had clones come out even before we've released lol
    Make something great and execute better than anyone else, ignore the pirates ;)

You may find this a good read:
    http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Pop+the+Lock/feature.asp?c=67752

5. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

When you get ripped off, you know you've made it.

6. Simon Crack

Simon Crack Avid Boxer

7. DeadlySeriousMedia

DeadlySeriousMedia Avid Boxer

Hey! They cloned one of ours as well! .PXL has been our most cloned game since Bouncy Bit! we are doing something right. :)

8. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

I recall when I took a free workshop on the business of inventions. The main speaker showed us an invention of his. He then showed us a website in China that not only cloned the invention to a T but also didn't even bother to change the name haha. China even cloned an entire Apple store! He basically told us that China has it's own laws not the same as U.S. copyright laws and it would be next to impossible to go after him. But I agree with Trey because if you're game really is big there will be an Army of clones on the way ala Flappy Bird and I am guilty of cloning that one in the past. Just focus on making a great game, possibly getting a publishing deal and get it out there. Don't worry about things out of your control and just focus on what positive actions you can take in your business. If you feel you need to or can have a clone taken down then you would want to consult a lawyer about that. I can't wait until I get cloned because then I'VE made it too haha.

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  9. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

Hahaha... We're proud to be a Buildboxer :)