Blurry Images At 1:1

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by NeatBoxer, Jun 30, 2017.

1. NeatBoxer

NeatBoxer Boxer

I'm adding images to my game and I don't get it, because I dropped them in there and didn't resize them at all and yet they look blurry. I'm creating them in Illustrator and then exporting them as PNG with a resolution of 72. Any ideas what's causing this?

2. Astro Games

Astro Games Avid Boxer

Press Ctrl + Alt + 0 for Actual Size what is the 100% zoom. Maybe your viewing scale is larger than 100%?

3. NeatBoxer

NeatBoxer Boxer

The blurriness that I see is when I launch the Preview.The blurring seems to occur on the iPad simulators.

4. Astro Games

Astro Games Avid Boxer

I don't know what do you see. Make screenshots of game editor and from game preview and post it here. Check if viewing scale is set to 100% in both cases.
    Moving images can be blurry but it's hard to guess from your short description.

5. NeatBoxer

NeatBoxer Boxer

I don't want to upload a complete screenshot from the game, so here is a portion of it. The Preview image is from the iPad 2 emulator. As you can see, there is blurring compared to the image.

When it comes right down to it, I don't understand how to get around graphics being blurry, because the design area is for the phone. So how do you prevent blurring, because BuildBox must be up-sizing for larger devices.

iPad 2 Preview:
    previewer.png

Workspace:
    Workspace.png

6. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

I am still confused -- Did you try this on an iPad and iPad Pro or the Xcode's iPad Simulator, or the BuildBox Preview? Preview gives you the worse results, that is good for a hint how objects are placed so you can adjust them quickly, but when it comes to quality, speed and even responsiveness, you should try it on the real deal. I suggest you to try it on the real device if you have not.

Also note that Retina displays have more pixels than its "logical resolution". For example an iPhone 5 has a 320x568 logical resolution, but the rendered one is 640x1136 so the actual pixels are doubled (sometimes referred as 2x displays). And not even that, but the physical one is actually 750x1334, but that will be upsampled by the device itself from the rendered one. This last step you should not worry as that is only a hardware design decision, Apple can then use different LCD panels and they will take care of the rest making sure your game will look good regardless of the used component. Then iPhone 6+ and above use 3x displays, so a 414x736 logical pixel resolution will be rendered as 1242x2208 (3x times of logical) and then they are actually downsampling it to 1080x1920 for the LCD panel.

I would say you should always have your assets to match with the rendered resolution.

in addition to that on a Retina iPad (iPad Air and iPad Pro) you even have more pixels, and I believe you should take into account that one if you care about image quality on those devices. But I let you do the Google homework on figuring out the resolutions for those :)

7. NeatBoxer

NeatBoxer Boxer

Thanks for the in-depth response. I'm still in the building stages, so I am using the BuildBox Preview to look at things. Once I get farther, I will, of course. test the game out on real devices. Since you've said that I shouldn't put too much store in the BuildBox Preview, I'll see how things look when I get to that phase because, hopefully, the graphics won't be blurry on an actual device.