Begin Game With Default Score

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by TheGameAppStudio, May 20, 2018.

1. TheGameAppStudio

TheGameAppStudio Serious Boxer

Can anyone tell me how to begin game with default score say 10 for instance.

I tried adding score lable on world screen but couldn't find a way to show default score on game start.

2. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

you can create an action that has the required points you need, set its opacity to zero and then add it in the start scene just over the character.
    If you do this properly then you are going to start the game with a default score.

TheGameAppStudio likes this.
  3. TheGameAppStudio

Hi,Thanks for the tip.But itsn't working .Added action and set action type none, pacement character behaviour overlay and set reward coins.and attached the character to action with action capacity 0.

4. DariusGuerrero

DariusGuerrero Avid Boxer

You don't need to attach the action, just put it on top of the character at the very start of the scene @TheGameAppStudio

TheGameAppStudio likes this.
  5. TheGameAppStudio

Thank you it worked :D And one more thing i need to show Game Over when the score is 0.
    I tried adding an event observer with session points/coins zero but the game over shows at start of game i.e even when character has action with default score.

6. DariusGuerrero

Make the game over score 1. The score action at the start of the game plus 3 or something

7. TheGameAppStudio

Tried that already .I set it as session coins 1 with score at beginning as 5 on scoring negative and when it reaches 1 it must show gameover.Session points/coins isn't helping here.This is because the value of session coins/points is always greater than 1 so it would show game over by default. ie 5>1 .ANyone with soultion @Benfont @AaroArts

8. DariusGuerrero

Oh yeah sorry didn't think it through and forgot about that one. Didn't picture out what game you're making too. Might help to do it the other way around. Enemies give you more points and when you reach a certain number of points it's game over.

This video might help too

9. TheGameAppStudio

@DariusGuerrero Thanks for the video.I know about health bars.The thing is every game score has +ve points but i need to show game over on reaching -ve points.Is there a way ??

Btw came across couple of threads here for -ve points

10. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

you need to remove the dash character from your font in order to make it work.
    I use this website for that:
    https://fontstruct.com/

take a font that is already created in the website and edit it by removing the dash character.

11. DariusGuerrero

Oh yeah. I think I remember that working for previous versions of Buildbox no matter what the font. Thanks for the hack @Benfont.

12. TheGameAppStudio

Its not working or am i doing some mistake??
    I am using this font https://fontstruct.com/fontstructions/show/1339953/frapsy

and set event obesrver -1 to show game over with starting score 5.