BB1: How do I stop the Collision Shape from messing up my character's position?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Gregory Storm, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Gregory Storm

Gregory Storm Avid Boxer

I'm making an isometric game and my character was placed exactly where I wanted him until I changed the collision shape. Changing the collision shape moved the character's position in the game. Is there a way to stop that from happening?

2. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

im new sooooooo....

can you offset the character image to a new position beside 0,0 to compensate?

3. Gregory Storm

Gregory Storm Avid Boxer

That was one of the first things I tried, but it causes the jump controls to be unresponsive. It doesn't make sense why that would happen.

4. Aaron F

Aaron F Avid Boxer

Have you checked your game in Debug mode?

5. Gregory Storm

Gregory Storm Avid Boxer

Yes, checked in Debug mode. How would that help?

I found a work around for the unresponsive problem. There is an issue with the Polygon collision shape causing poor performance and not registering screen taps. Changing from Polygon to Circle seems to have fixed that issue.

However, the problem bug still remains where changing or moving the collision shape screws up the positioning of the character on the game screen. I have illustrated the problem below where the only thing that changed was the collision shape.
    [​IMG]

6. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

If you move the collision shape above the head of the character, then your character will "hang" on that instead of standing on it. This is what happening and because Buildbox uses a 2D engine (and because of your isometric setup and your character is always in front of other objects on your scene) it looks like it comes to aside, but basically what is happening is that it goes down. If you turn on Debug mode on your player you will see that.

7. Aaron F

Aaron F Avid Boxer

If you turn on debug mode you can see how the collision shapes are interacting.

8. Wings n Armor

Wings n Armor Avid Boxer

@Aaron F Do you know of any export companies for various devices.

9. Gregory Storm

Gregory Storm Avid Boxer

Turning on debug shows the collision shapes but does not fix the issue. Maybe this is a problem with Buildbox 1.x and isometric games. How are isometric games handled in BB2 @Aaron F @Andy?

My fix is I've had to manually adjust all of my enemy collision shapes to compensate for the offset that BB is adding to the character position.

10. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

interesting character you have there :)

Gregory Storm likes this.
  11. Aaron F

Aaron F Avid Boxer

@Gregory Storm setting to debug won't fix the issue but if you post the image we can see how the collisions are setup and might be able to help. There is no specific way to setup an ISO game in BB1 but BB2 has some features to make this easier. Yes you need to adjust things to get it to work just right.

12. Gregory Storm

Gregory Storm Avid Boxer

@Aaron F What are the features in BB2 that make making isometric games easier?

13. Aaron F

Aaron F Avid Boxer

Ghost Jump