Asteroid Madness- My First Buildbox Game!

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by Alienone, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Alienone

Alienone Boxer

This is my very first game, and I just wanted to THANK Everyone on here who help me out by answering all my questions, as I'm a complete newbie! It was a challenging, but could not have done this with out you guys :)

So Asteroid Madness is simple little game, just wanted to put a game together and get it on the Playstore to see if I can do it, my next game I will really get into Buildbox... Make more worlds, character movement, etc...

Asteroid Madness - Playstore

2. superjack765

superjack765 Avid Boxer

have a image?

3. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Hey @Alienone, congrats for your first game!

Few comments which hopefully you will find constructive:
    • Ads interrupting the gameplay, that should be avoided. If you really want ads during play you should place banner ad, not interstitial
    • Ads are appearing way too often. That may drive players out
    • Points looks like distance based and increasing very rapidly, maybe you should consider a divider there (score multiplier to 0.005 or something like that)
    • The only option on the main menu is to play, therefore there is no reason to have a back button on the game over screen...
    • I think graphics is generally pleasing, however, there is a room for improvements

4. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

Looks cool.
    Same as what @trudnai says. ads are a bit much.
    First game, so theres a lot learn.
    Everyone rushes to have a first game out. So a lot of polishing gets left out.
    But its all fun, and learning the little details that completes a polished game.
    All the best with it, and can't wait to see your next game.

5. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

I agree with @trudnai .
    Another aspect are the Atlasses, you have to delete the default images BB (road, buttons, car, etc ...)
    We expect a new improved version where you can shoot the asteroids.

Good luck.

6. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

russellartista and Member_Game like this.
  7. Alienone

Alienone Boxer

Thanks Trudnai, I appreciate the input :)

A few things though... First thing is there are NO Ads in game play o_O, myself and a few friends have been playing the game testing it, and theres NO Ads During Game Play... Theres only one interstitial ad that shows up only when the game is over, that is the only place I have ads, when the game is over... :D

Second thing, is I didn't know I could slow the distance scoring down, really good to know for next time :cool: :)

Third thing is I didn't add any exit button, because the exit buttons don't work, either on the phone, or even adding one through Buildbox. :confused:

Definitely looking to make improvments and love the software :)

8. Alienone

Alienone Boxer

MANY THANKS @playsgames6666, @jcalle, @heathclose having fun and looking forward to making more advance game, still a lot to learn in Buildbox :)

Going to make a video of game play @heathclose :cool:

I don't know where @trudnai seen ads in the game play, theres no ads in game play, LOL! The only ads that show up are on the game over screen, as I know the annoyance of to many ads in a game :D

Oh, don't have any images hosted anywhere @superjack765, there are game images in the Playstore :)

9. playsgames6666

i have noticed on my android device, depending on what ad network is used and my internet strength, the ads load late which makes them pop up in game play. happens on a lot of games i play. but on iPhone it never happens for me.

trudnai likes this.
  10. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

I swear I had this :) I will play a bit more to see what was that. Anyways, I am just trying to help with my feedback to my fellow buildboxer, no intended to put it hard on you ️

11. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

That makes sense, I did not know this, thanks!

playsgames6666 likes this.
  12. heathclose

bully

playsgames6666 and trudnai like this.
  13. Alienone

Alienone Boxer

:D:D:D LOL!

14. Alienone

Alienone Boxer

Its all good, I appreciate all your feedback my friend :):cool:

@playsgames6666 is right and thanks for the heads up, after I saw your post, I played a little more to test this... If I Re-Started the game quickly enough and beat out the pop-up ad, which is not easy and it took me a few tries, but I did manage to do it one time... The ad will pop up in game play :confused:

playsgames6666 likes this.
  15. playsgames6666

Yea, when I'm on wifi i have no problem, but when I'm on my network provider it always happens on android

16. Arshpreet

Arshpreet Avid Boxer

hey So Much to Learn From This thread

17. Arshpreet

Arshpreet Avid Boxer

i Just Installed ur game and played,am not An Expert ,am just A kid but i have also Created A Game That Am gonna Launch With In 3-4 days,one thing that i Feel Missing In Ur game Is That there is really less to Explore and Game is Really hard ,i barely survies For 5 sec but when i Don' See anything new i Lost My interest,and i Am curious To Know That Why ur game is not Getting downloads,i Mean i Wanna learn from Ur mistakes and i Will POst Soon and u Will Learn from Mine,but I wanna know Where is The problem in Game Or in Marketing Or Publishing.

18. Alienone

Alienone Boxer

Well, I don't think I have made any mistakes here per-say.... I am completely new to the game app world, so first, I wanted to test out Buildbox to make sure I can use the software to make a game app... Accomplished! Second, upload that game into Google play to start and see if it gets published... Accomplished! Now the reason I have no downloads, is I just put it on Google play and now it needs to be marketed, and so I am now working on marketing the game, which I am learning to do, as I know this is a challenge in itself... So everything is a learning curve for me right now :D

trudnai likes this.
  19. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

And that is why you need to find a Publisher who can do the marketing for you -- unless you are a marketing guru and already know how to do that.

20. heathclose

I like what you're doing man you set a goal and you did it...

nobody starts out... no one... starts out knowing knows how this whole thing works... nobody... I repeat.... nobody...

they got there by learning from their last mistake, and by learning by doing....

Now... Here's what I suggest...

"The Art of Game Design" by Jesse Schell

Read that book and download the free app... It will change your headspace about game design... Read it while you are learning the software (making games) and when you combine the two... it will change your life

I also suggest taking that book to OfficeMax and have them cut the binder off and put it in a spiral it's much easier to study from

Jamesallen232 and Alienone like this.