Aso - Keyword Research

Discussion in 'Game Marketing' started by itzonator, Apr 4, 2018.

1. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

Numerous times Trey Smith said that ASO is dead, especially with Apple App Store. If that's true, then why Apple still have this keywords field to add keywords? So obvi, there's more than meets the eye.

Before publishing your game, how you go about doing a keyword research and why for the Apple App Store?

Do you use any third party service to find good keywords for your game or you are researching via the App Store directly from your device?

2. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Personally I use App Annie to check keywords and see what I could get traction from. I also update my store listing every couple of weeks - something Apple has made harder to do now as any changes must be submitted with an actual game update.

Others are buying up installs with user acquisition but I still can't find the best method of doing this. I've used Facebook and it didn't yield anything and still a firm believer that they use 'click farms' to get your money.

3. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

@spicedbeangames, interestingly, after writing my post, I went to App Annie to check their latest updates and saw the Keyword section which was quite interesting. However, App Annie data for keywords is not as accurate, since they are based on Apple's algorithm (AI). The Ai responds to keywords that are not always in the keyword field, but in Titles and App descriptions. So probably that's why the data is not as accurate.

Paid advertising, it's a risk and money thrown into the hole, but if there's return becomes an investment. Frankly, Facebook Adverts do not work for everyone, and for those that work, they do not say much about it :) Some folks take advantage of Facebook Adverts as soon as the app is approved in the Apple App Store, because there's an initial boost for new releases, especially if it's a first release. They do not advertise on a regular game that's been in the App Store for months or years.

I never heard of "click farms" so can't comment about it. Thanks for your suggestions.

I used Sensor Tower to do my keyword research, but to be honest for what you have to pay in Sensor Tower, seems like to be already available for free on App Annie. What are your thoughts on that?

Itzo