Anyone Making More Than $100 A Month With Their Game?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by simonsaunders, Aug 20, 2016.

1. simonsaunders

simonsaunders Boxer

only reason i ask is that $100 a month as a sub to bb is very expensive if you are not making your money back on ads or IAP. suspose im looking for inspiration

playsgames6666 likes this.
  2. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

Yep, only since my last two games though.
    The others have made bugger all. But these two are doing ok.

3. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

INKY and playsgames6666 like this.
  4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

If you don't make more money than $100 per month I think it is best to look for something else. Or would you work in this only to pay the subscription for Buildbox? With what money are you going to live? To eat? To pay your bills?

But yeah, we only have a few who are living from making games. Definitely one of the most difficult industries I have worked in.

bmsingha likes this.
  5. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

He has got a huge truck coming to his house every day full of with green papers and he just tell them: "I do not know guys, just leave it in the backyard" :)

6. Metal Soul

Metal Soul Boxer

Actually, I stopped creating games, it's only works for companies or if you have great budget, to try promote and take the risk

If you fail, you will lose your money, if you will success, you get your money back and more

And you will try on another game til you lose it again :(

It's happened to me, i made great revenue from a game, and i lose it in another game

I think it's over, we are out of ideas,

Run game, hard games, one touch game, flat design, isometric, colorful games,, what else

People getting boring playing such as games

Im telling this, not to stop anyone to create games, no

Some developers, thinking create a game, and swim with money, it's not like that

Creating game, made 0$

Best regards

7. ramiucef

ramiucef Avid Boxer

@Metal Soul , i don't agree about you , even if it's true that Run game, hard games, isometric.... are already made with buildbox , that doesn't mean it's over . people are always looking for new games , even if it was the same gameplay idea , that doesn't matter ,
    i write more about working hard and never give up , but it will take all the day

my advice is , if you don't love what you are doing , making games , it's mean this is not the right thing for you

bmsingha likes this.
  8. INKY

INKY Avid Boxer

More like every 2 minutes! Lol. Amazing

9. calmackay79

calmackay79 Boxer

People think that they make something without investing time & effort into it will allow them to retire in one grand, swift moment. Anything you do in life will fail with this approach. You want more than a hobby out of making games than tick off the following list -

1) Actually enjoy making games - doing it for a get rich quick scheme is going to fail
    2) Learn how to make games - read books & articles on design & level creation, play games AND understand them = figure out how they do certain things.
    3) Test your game - take both the good and bad feedback, grow from it - don't get angry with it
    4) Market your game - learn, try and try again to get it out there
    5) Don't stop at one game - Rovio made 42 apps and were broke before Angry birds took off.
    6) Actually enjoy making games! (yes I repeated myself)

The challenges are the same for any career choice, get quick rich schemes only benefit people that run them. I see alot of crap games being made on here (mine included) but people are asking questions, learning and growing their businesses as they do it. Theres nothing better seeing someone continually improving the quality of their games as the make more and more.

You do all this, polish the shit out of your game, and maybe, just maybe you will have a career in it....

eyal likes this.
  10. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

hahahaha... the Brinks truck backs up to David's window and guards grab shovels... and sometimes he's like.. "guys! c'mon! can't you see there is no more room?!? come back tomorrow..."

trudnai likes this.
  11. heathclose

stop making games and create experiences... read "The Art of Game Design" by Jesse Schell.. it will change this headspace you are in...

12. heathclose

huh... I didn't know that...

13. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I thought they made over 100... I read that somewhere.

14. Gregory Storm

Gregory Storm Avid Boxer

This thread is one of the #1 reasons why developers need publishers. I'm baffled by some in the indie game developer community that rail against getting a publisher because they think either "publishers don't do anything" or "publishers just steal all my money" but when they release their game on their own, they flop. Maybe they get three or four thousand downloads or make $75 in two months.

Making money is easy. Making consistent money over a long period of time is hard, but it's definitely possible. I have games that I released a couple years ago that I don't update or market that still bring in five figures a year passively.

Making games is a fun and creative endeavor. Publishing games is a business. Most people think if they just focus really hard on making their game and completely leave the business as an afterthought, that their amazing game will magically rise to the top of the store and make them rich.

An average game with excellent publishing is going to make loads more money than an excellent game with no publishing.

Insanity and swnam12 like this.