Android Studio with Buildbox

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by mykodagames, Oct 31, 2015.

1. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

Its been quite sometime since I developed an app and it turns out eclipse is being phased out by Android Studio, (so I've downloaded the Java Development Kit (JDK) 7, and Android Studio (because Im using a Mac).

I was wondering if anyone knows of a tutorial to use Android Studio to export a buildbox game to an android device, for testing?

I cannot use eclipse because the legacy Java SE 6 runtime is no longer available for Mac (I've gone through the Archives and its not supported anymore).... I was finally able to get java 6 through iTunes :) (OS X 2015-001).

The tutorials below are truly fantastic for use with eclipse:

https://www.buildbox.com/publish-android-build-for-google-play/

Does anyone know how to do it with Android Studio just trying to get ahead of the curve when eclipse no longer works.

Sincerely,
    Michael

2. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Why would eclipse no longer work? You can use the ADT bundle (which includes eclipse) indicated in the tutorial (link below) and use it with JDK 7. We will include support for Android Studio eventually but in the beginning it was much harder to get working for the average person than Eclipse.

https://www.buildbox.com/publish-android-build-for-google-play/

3. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

Hi Andy,

Long story short my computer crashed and I no longer had the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 to run eclipse and had a tough time figuring out how I would get it, once I had this it was no problem at all. I don't remember now (I believe) I tried JDK 7 first but was prompted for JRE 6 upon installation (I've been wrong many times before, its tough to think back now and that was only Saturday lol).

Android Studio is much harder (very average here) and am glad you guys have it on your radar.

Thanks Andy, I Greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond (Your Alright!).

4. rechris2

rechris2 Boxer

Hello i have some problem to my project i downloaded ADT bundle (which includes eclipse), but something wrong.

Attached Files:

5. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

You have 2 main issue:

1) The first issue can be solved by turning off lit error checking:

2) The second issue is that you need to now install API 21 via the Android SDK Manager:
    http://developer.android.com/tools/help/sdk-manager.html

A third issue that may or may not still be a problem is that you seem to have some sort of permission error where you are trying to write the APK on the file system. I would double check the location and make sure you have permission to write there or change the location to your desktop for example.

6. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Is there any technical issue not supporting Android Studio or it is just a choice of preference?

7. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

@Andy How do you run Eclipse on JDK7 (or 8 which I have)? I have got this error message, so I did not even get to the stage to be able to follow that tutorial:
    Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 8.13.59 PM.png
    Thanks,
    Tamas

8. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Are you using Eclipse from the ADT bundle that is linked to in the guide? Seems like you are trying to use a very old version of Eclipse possibly.

9. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Yep I have just clicked on that download link for the Mac from the guide. It looks like Google is no longer support ADT and highly encourages people to use Android Studio?

Reading a bit on the Android Developer Tools page it seems the only way to get it done is to manually install Eclipse and ADT as a plugin and not sure what else?

10. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

11. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Thank you @Andy , I think my problem starts earlier than the guide takes off: I could not even install Eclipse with the ADT. I will try again when have more time.

12. rechris2

rechris2 Boxer

Hello Andy with eclipse i don't find App folder, i need to integrate facebook sdk fro adv and google analytics (json file) to buildbox app.
    Let me know how to fix.
    Thanks.

13. Jagabum

Jagabum Guest

Hi @trudnai, got the same error as you. Try this. At the error box, click on "More info" and you should be able to download javaforosx.dmg.
    Install that, and you can get through to Eclipse. :)

I'm still going through the guide as I speak haha....

14. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Thank you. Yes, so that would install the legacy Java 6 which Apple gave up when it turned out that one is full of with vulnerabilities and they just could not keep up with patching it. I do not want to open up my MacBook for the hackers -- no, really, I do not want cyber criminals to steal my credit card or personal info or source code or use my laptop as a spammer bot or lock my computer and unlock it only if I pay, no, I do not want that. I just wanted to use the latest Java with all security patches to reduce the risk, but maybe wanted too much :)

Maybe I will create a VirtualBox image or something if it cannot be done otherwise, but this is something I wanted to avoid.

Thanks anyways!

15. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

Question - Where do I add my device ? my real device

16. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

@eyal
    I believe you just plug the device it into your computer and click the green play button (its a little different than Xcode, where you add a your device). Another thing thats different once unplugged (or done testing) it doesn't save the game to your device (to play later). Hop this helps?

17. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

@kodagames thank you for that.
    I didn't try it. just made an apk and tested it on the real handset.
    works

18. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

@eyal Glad it worked and that I could help :D (Im still figuring it all out myself).

19. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

@kodagames do u know how to do it full screen ?

20. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

Im not sure what you mean by full screen? that should be automatic but different resolutions show differently (cropped left/right). While playing the game inside of BB theres a drop down for Full HD.