Android Studio & Gradle Update. Buildbox Project No Longer A Seamless Build

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by ramjetsy7, Jan 5, 2019.

1. ramjetsy7

ramjetsy7 Boxer

Buildbox 2.3.7.0
    Android Studio 3.2.1
    Android Gradle Plugin 3.2.1
    Gradle 4.6
    Win 10

Just updated android studio and gradle and now synching a project with gradle creates 3 warnings and 1 error, so the sync fails, app can't be tested on a device/emulator and apk won't compile.

Easy enough to fix, if anyone else is having similar issues. Hope Buildbox release a fix at some point.

Warning/Error Messages below, with solutions in bold:

Configuration 'compile' is obsolete and has been replaced with 'implementation' and 'api'.
    It will be removed at the end of 2018. For more information see: http://d.android.com/r/tools/update-dependency-configurations.html

Open Build.gradle (Module: app)

At the end of the file, change:

compile 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-ads:11.6.0'

to:

implementation 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-ads:11.6.0'

The specified Android SDK Build Tools version (27.0.3) is ignored, as it is below the minimum supported version (28.0.3) for Android Gradle Plugin 3.2.1.
    Android SDK Build Tools 28.0.3 will be used.
    To suppress this warning, remove "buildToolsVersion '27.0.3'" from your build.gradle file, as each version of the Android Gradle Plugin now has a default version of the build tools.

Remove:

buildToolsVersion "27.0.3"

From near the top of the Build.gradle (Module: app) file.

The minSdk version should not be declared in the android manifest file. You can move the version from the manifest to the defaultConfig in the build.gradle file.

The targetSdk version should not be declared in the android manifest file. You can move the version from the manifest to the defaultConfig in the build.gradle file.

Remove:

<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="16" android:targetSdkVersion="26"/>

From androidmanifest.xml file.

There's no need to add it to the Build.gradle file, it's already added.

Save and sync project

You should now have 0 errors or warnings

Hope that helps someone else

Maylock, Appossible and Tumbleweeds like this.
  2. ramjetsy7

ramjetsy7 Boxer

Apologies for the stupid smilies - no idea how to get rid of them..

3. hyunjoonryan

hyunjoonryan Boxer

Hi ramjetsy7 - I am experiencing the exact problem you outlined. However, since I am not too familiar with Android Studio, I'm having a difficult time executing your solution. Generating apk has been a huge challenge for me. Could you please provide help on it using any preferred method? (ie. recording screen, etc)