All Objects Shift Up When Used Next Checkpoint!

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by volcank, Feb 15, 2017.

1. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Hi,

I am trying to make a single screen platformer where the player needs to reach a door to go to a next scene. So I am using set checkpoint and next checkpoint Action to randomise levels. However when my player jumps to the next checkpoint all the objects in the screen seems to shift up a little. How can this happen? I did this before and it was working ok.

My settings are

Game direction -90

I set the borders to yellow and also I arranged the corners of the border so that they all fit to the screen. I did the scene distance 1136.

this creates a big problem especially with MY GUI because all the objects now get in the way of my coins and score UI.

forced movement all set to 0.

My back deletion thresholds is 1000

sides deletion threshold is 700

I also realised it has go to do the action objects position. When I change it to up or down also the scene seems to shift more up or down. weird.

I would appreciate if someone could help me!

thank you

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Interesting. When I manually set my set checkpoint action object inside the scene to 275 in Y the screen doesn't shift up or down. I wonder what that 275 relates to.

3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I have the same problems. Restarting with a set checkpoint action never starts the game vertically in the same spot. It seems almost it has to do with the position the character dies. @Andy what is the main factor which defines where the character starts with a set checkpoint action? Wasn't it the very center where the set checkpoint is placed and this should always be the same independently if the game frame was moved or not?

volcank likes this.
  4. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Also the position of the next check point highly affects the position of the character in next check point. somehow I managd to do it manually by trial and error. I had like 2 doors in my single screen game. One is the start and the other is where it takes you to next check point. So my first door (starting point of my stage (scene) is a little bit high always so I set it on a stone kind of thing.

5. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I'm going to need an example setup (bbdoc) to be able to tell you what needs to be adjusted or identify if there is an issue.

volcank likes this.
  6. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

@Andy I will make a template as soon as possible. Is that ok If I email the template to support@buildbox.com or should upload to here?

7. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

either way, but it's always better to sent to the support email as it gets tracked better. I am monitoring this thread

volcank likes this.
  8. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Hi @Andy Just sent an email to Support and included an example bbdoc file.

Thank You!

9. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

@volcank
    Replied via support, but for everyone else who is wondering...

In this case, consistent placement of the set checkpoint is required in each scene to prevent the screen from shifting. If your game is vertical scrolling then you need the find the correct Y position of the set checkpoint. In a horizontal scrolling game, you need to find the correct X position. That positioning must remain consistent in every scene.

If you bypass the "Start" scene and start the main portion of the game in Scene 1 then it might make the setup and little easier.

volcank likes this.
  10. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Thanx a lot Andy. I have actually found out that correct Y position. Only I was wondering if that was a bug or something else. How is it possible to bypass the start scene btw? Simply by adding a next checkpoint action in start scene so when the game starts the player touches that action and jumps to scene1?? Thank You!

11. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Two possible ways are to make a fullscreen next checkpoint to automatically forward you to the Scene 1, you could hide everything behind a background or decoration if there is some undesirable flash. Making the length of Start 0 might work as well.

volcank likes this.
  12. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Not a bug, just an artifact of making what is effectively a non-scrolling game into a container that was really meant for scrolling games.

volcank likes this.
  13. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Thank you seems making the length of start 0 makes sense. I will try that!

14. MAC420

MAC420 Avid Boxer

Ok this almost helped me. I now have it set up where my character comes back in the right places when I test the level by itself but, if I start from the beginning it still ends up higher then it should be???