About the secret headquarter and buildbox

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by tweettopix, Feb 4, 2016.

1. tweettopix

tweettopix Boxer

Buidbox is wonderful software. It wasn't love at first sight. But I love it now! However, the infrequent bugfixing and releases make me wonder....

I'm wondering is the software Buildbox developed offshore? Are people working full-time on the software? Or is it a project besides your daily job? Are you all sitting in the same room? Or is the secret headquarter a 'virtual office'? Trey mentioned in one of his videos he hired extra developers. Did he? I would love to see an about page with the people behind Buildbox to make it less secret.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    ruhm64 likes this.
  2. todro

todro Avid Boxer

The company responsible for BB is called 8cell now, a new company to focus on BB only while Trey's Secret Headquarter is holding the tradmark and seems to be still working in the previous segments: marketing and controlling/directing multiple game companies. At least this is my understanding at the moment.

As for the team behind, just watch the BB 2 documentary videos, especially Buildbox Year One, which explain that very well. It's obvious that Nik is the dev chief and it's hard to find devs as smart as Nik. That said, I think that Nik is still the one who takes care about most/almost the whole development and having two releases makes it a little bit more complicated to fix and improve them concurrently. Building a new dev team doesn't work out of the box, not even for Buildbox :D and takes some time..

Hopefully the team behind Nik can be enhanced as there are lot's of features on the wishlist but I would like to see the bugs be fixed first.

ruhm64 and tweettopix like this.
  3. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

Everything is under 8cell now, trademarks just haven't updated.

We have 15 people working full time in the company, with most being developers. Nik and I are in an office in Los Gatos, everyone else is remote. Andy is actually the technical lead now and runs a group of programmers while Nik works directly with me in R&D.

As for bugs and fixes, I can't stress this enough... We are in beta. Not only that, I've signnificantly delayed this release to add more features (Andy is about to kill me) and with each new feature we create more bugs. I believe as of yesterday I am done. You will see many new changes coming that we've been working on behind the scene after gathering your feedback and analyzing the workflow of 2.0.

4. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Sounding very exciting @TreySmith Looking forward to seeing the changes and the fixes. Next week for Beta 3?

5. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

Yes, I believe we will be ready next week. And as soon as we release it, we will finalize 1.3.6. I really wanted to nail down features first for 2.0 so I could have our videographer finish the training videos. I knew I would change some things after feedback and didn't want to record videos that were instantly outdated. As of today I feel very confident our flows are strong. We are making some things that were confusing (like component buttons... and really the whole UI Editor) much more clear.

6. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

This is great news @TreySmith, thanks.

7. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

@TreySmith Awesome news! I have read somewhere here that BB2 will generate a "source code". Does this mean scenes and settings will be translated to a C++ or ObjC/Swift or those are remaining in XML or other data format and we will just get a some kind of API and a skeleton to customize certain things in the game?

8. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

is there a certain date for 1.3.6

9. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Natalie is the shy one in the team then :)

10. Deliverbo

Deliverbo Avid Boxer

11. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

I think you've just given @TreySmith & Co. an idea :)

Deliverbo likes this.
  12. jzoga

jzoga Boxer

A stupid question probably but -- Will we get a notification of the fixes/new update for 2.0 beta (via email or other) or will it automatically update?

13. lauro_sousa

lauro_sousa Boxer

Hope BB 1.3.6 get released soon. I will wait a little before upgrading to BB 2

14. Member_Game

Member_Game Boxer