100 Menus And 4 Worlds With Only 3 Atlasses. Will It Work?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by DariusGuerrero, Aug 27, 2017.

1. DariusGuerrero

DariusGuerrero Avid Boxer

Back when I was using Buildbox 2.2.8 and published Face Bump, the game wasn't opening on my iPad if I had 5 worlds, 10 menus and 6 atlasses. Reducing the worlds to 4, menus to 8, and the atlasses to 5 allowed it to open fine. I was thinking this might be because of a loading issue.

Now, with Buildbox 2.2.9 being more optimized and I was to say make a game with hundreds of menus (yes) and 4 worlds but only 3 atlasses and a few kb of sfx and 2 mb of music. Would it work fine on iOS devices or will it still crash on loading time because of the number of UI? This is a big, weird project and I'm afraid of wasting weeks on it if it doesn't work xD

What's the largest number of UI and worlds and atlasses you had in a game published on the App Store?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  2. Astro Games

Astro Games Avid Boxer

I've got 4 Atlases, 32 Worlds, 50 UIs and is running smoothly on iPhone 5s, created with BB 2.2.8, loading time around 8-10 seconds.
    Loading time is one thing but performance is the other so try to avoid having hundreds of sprites animated on screen simultaneously.

DariusGuerrero likes this.
  3. DariusGuerrero

YES! Thank you. What game is this? I'd like to play it. There won't be too much going on as always. I'm just always afraid of loading time because if it lasts longer than 15 seconds the iDevice won't bother and will crash your game. Hm. Funny how Face Bump was crashing. Maybe the 6th atlas was already too much :)) Thanks @Astro Games !

4. Astro Games

Astro Games Avid Boxer

I've read on the forum that 4 Atlases is a max but I think it depends how big (and how many) bitmaps you have there. I'm using quite big bitmaps in that case (like 400x400 pixels) so not so many at all. It's currently being testes via Testflight in beta version so it's not accessible until release, sorry.

DariusGuerrero likes this.
  5. DariusGuerrero

It's alright. Good luck @Astro Games ! Thanks for the tip!