what do I do?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by lekanoofficial, Jan 17, 2016.

1. lekanoofficial

lekanoofficial Boxer

Friends Hello! I would like to ask you a question, maybe someone else has experienced this. In my game a lot of animation is the biggest of them weigh 1Mb, other little of 100-200 kbps, most animation menu screen on the weak androyd smartphones (1GB of RAM did not seem weak but) the game does not want to run and run and if it takes off, and no strong problemm not. I reduced the size of the animation to the maximum but still, the number of animations on the menu screen just 5 pieces.

2. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Are the animation files the correct dimensions for the game or do you have to reduce them in size when placing on the game field? Also how many Atlases do you have? Any more than 10 and your getting into memory problems.

ruhm64 likes this.
  3. ruhm64

ruhm64 Avid Boxer

I had an issue with layout of the screen and made my menus in Illustrator and reduced my buttons as much as I could. I know where you're coming from on the lower end devices and crash or lag. But I make sure my images are not over 500kb. Just to be on the safe side.

4. lekanoofficial

lekanoofficial Boxer

29 atlases...

5. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

That could be a record! Cough! Splutter! Thats your problem I would confidently predict. Your bbdoc size should be somewhere around 40MB if you want to ensure that less capable devices can run the game!

6. Ember Game

Ember Game Boxer

Did you try the atlas optimization function of Buildbox? I could be in the process you added and then deleted asset from assets panel, but didn't reoptimize the atlases, so those old assets still present in atlas result in too many unnecessary assets in the final build. Try optimize and rebuild your atlas!

AndyG likes this.
  7. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Very good point @Ember Game. @lekanoofficial first make sure you use TOOLS > Remove unused Level Objects & Remove unused image objects.

Then in Atlasses do an Optimize and Rebuild then Optimize Atlases.

I still think you will need to revisit the actual dimension size of your images. If your not using a Scale of 1.00 for your images then basically you have to resize them externally and reduce them by the corresponding scale percentage and reimport.

8. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Word of advise, backup your current bbdoc file as a precaution before trying out the optimization as I have had to re-add items back. Also do you have sounds in the game? How big are the sound files?

ruhm64 likes this.
  9. lekanoofficial

lekanoofficial Boxer

I have no unnecessary pictures, the fact that the building-level animation all elements, so I already have more than 30 atlases, I realized the more atlases the less likely that the weak device will play.

10. Taimoor Javaid

Taimoor Javaid Avid Boxer

@lekanoofficial 30 atlases mean you are not using the right dimensions for your game e.g background image and the other stuff also you can reduce your image size by exporting them for web and devices. if you can post your atlases SS then it would be much easier to identify you main issue either it's big size or other issue. @ruhm64 500kb still large enough i guess :D

ruhm64 likes this.
  11. todro

todro Avid Boxer

Let me explain it this way:

1.) An atlas is a "huge" image with all single images combined, optimized in it's layout not to waste space.
    2.) The border to separate is small approx. 4px (named padding in the atlas settings), so minimal overhead
    3.) Due to the optimal layout (overlapping white areas, e.g. for characters etc.) , the total size is less than the sum of the single rectangular images
    4.) An image is referenced by an offset (x,y) within this atlas

In the example you see 3 images within the atlas:

1. the large background left
    2. the BB logo right
    3. the small background below

Bildschirmfoto 2016-01-18 um 13.03.53.png

So far no problem. The real problem comes with non optimzed atlasses which means:

if you reference images in different atlasses from within the same scene, all needed atlasses have to be loaded into memory concurrently.

Therefore there are a few things to keep in mind:

1.) reducing number of atlasses reduces overhead (still multiple might be loaded, even if the number is reduced and they get bigger)
    2.) Try to put images of the same scene (and maybe of following scenes) in the same atlas
    3.) Pray that BB 2.0 will be optimized to handle the atlas/asset topic smartly, especially in a multi-world game. So far every world is already intended to get an own asset in BB2, accordding to the planings

What's the image size you are using ? Hopefully not more than 2048x2048

croomraider likes this.
  12. shesh

shesh Avid Boxer

have the same issue.
    BB2 now let's you view the atlases directly,
    it seems that BB does not actually clear unused images from the atlases,
    I see many images long after I've cleared them using tools>>clear

13. lekanoofficial

lekanoofficial Boxer

Friends as for pictures I can not tell, I am a web designer,artist, all sizes reduced at maximum, just I have a lot of animations that's the problem, but without them the game will lose its soul. So you have to sacrifice a weak phone for the sake of the beautiful game. Soon I'll post the game you play rate )

14. ruhm64

ruhm64 Avid Boxer

I'll be doing that today. I got a little crazy with the optimization. What I don't get is why my menu, game over, info screens are half missing but they are still "intact" in the BB areas, just disappear on the simulator play.

15. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

post screenshots to see what u are seeing

ruhm64 likes this.
  16. ruhm64

ruhm64 Avid Boxer

Upon reloading BB I went back to find the images were no longer there. Just the outlines for the buttons. Wasn't as difficult as I thought I had made it. Kind of spooky when things disappear. Sucks going back through 200+ scenes to add/change for iPad sizes too. LOL

17. croomraider

croomraider Boxer

Would you mind explaining more of what an "atlas" is? Does someone have an in-game picture reference? I googled it and tried to learn more but am just getting more lost and confused lol.