A Great Disappointment

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by BitzSec, May 29, 2020.

1. BitzSec

BitzSec Boxer

Hello everyone,

I'm here today to tell you about my experience with Buildbox so far... I'm extremely frustrated.

At the beginning of using this software, it appears to be like a piece of cake and my dream almost came true, zero code, no pain in the ass, straightforward software, almost no learning curve, seems good, right?

It has been THREE days that I'm trying to figure how the hell I import a simple 3D model of a car into my project game, tons of tutorials and videos I watched with no help, for real guys... Couldn't you make it any harder to do a simple basic process of importing a 3D model? Escaping a lot of code-based game engines only to find myself in the middle of a mess using blender (the hardest program with the steepest learning curve) only to generate some colors?

The forums is really dead, no one is bothering helping me, discord is the same, too much time to get replies that suggest solutions for experts not beginners.

Your advertisement about Buildbox is way too far from the reality that this program is a pain in the ass to use due to the "only png and jpeg supported".

I'm really disappointed.

redhouanee likes this.
  2. Hue Buildbox

Hue Buildbox Administrator Staff Member

No need to feel frustrated. With anything, there comes a learning curve.

For 3D objects you will need the obj and the standard png texture file to go with it.
    I recommend choosing 3D Assets sources that provide both .obj & .png or you'll have to do some side work within your 3D modeling software.
    If importing animated FBX objects you'll just simply need to 'Drag n Drop'.

3. BitzSec

BitzSec Boxer

The only working way of getting PNGs through Blender gives visual glitches. Drag and drop FBX files gives white models.

4. MarcG

MarcG Boxer

I understand being frustrated, but I think you're maybe expecting a bit too much.

Any tool to build something as complex as a game is going to have a learning curve and the more you want to do the harder that will be.

Buildbox does lull you in a bit as it is so easy to get something simple up and running, but from what I can see it's mainly made to build the endless kind of games that are so commercially popular. Yes, you can do a lot more, but it's going to take a lot more effort.

There are some very helpful people on here, but it does seem pretty quiet in general so there aren't necessarily enough helpful people who will know the answer to a question so that can feel frustrating.

It also doesn't help that (I assume just newbies) seem to have their posts requiring moderation for a long time as that slows things down a lot too. I have no clue how long that lasts, but this will be my 14th (sensible I hope!) post and I'm still moderated, Never in 30 years of using forums have I seen that.

Anyway, what is the format of the model you're trying to import? I've found a lot tricky, but get some models in hasn't been one of my issues!

5. Hue Buildbox

Hue Buildbox Administrator Staff Member

It all depends on where your assets are coming from.
    Also, please be sure that you're using the latest version. Build# 3704
    MAC: https://downloads.buildbox.com/buildbox/3.1/mac/Buildbox_3.2.1-3704.dmg
    WIN: https://downloads.buildbox.com/buildbox/3.1/win/Buildbox_3.2.1-3704.exe
    I attached a screenshot of a FBX character that I dragged right in.
    I think you're doing great for just three days in. Tutorials are key.
    2020-05-30 18_47_58.png

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  6. Toy

Toy Boxer

Sorry If I misunderstood, but did you mean you change the material color in Blender and try to import that color to Buildbox?
    When you drag fbx/ obj file to Buildbox the default color that it gave to you is white however you can change the color of it.
    If it just a simple color for the whole model then just change the color tab under the 3D model tab.
    But if it something like texture map, your 3D model need a UVS map before adding color.
    I'm new to Buildbox as well, but I'm familiar with 3D Software. Hope I can help.

7. BitzSec

BitzSec Boxer

I agree with that moderation thing.
    I'm trying to use a .obj model with UV map generated in blender following this tutorial
    The colors seem out of their place.

I didn't know that FBX supported, all forum posts mentioned that they're not...

Well... Now that FBX is supported I guess it's finally working! :D

8. BitzSec

BitzSec Boxer

Now another problem appears, following the tutorial on the official buildbox channel, I can't find that box in my editor...

Attached Files:

9. Toy

Toy Boxer

Yeah, me too. I guess that's a different version so when they update it gone.

10. MarcG

MarcG Boxer

The moderation of the forum is a great disappointment, no wonder it's quiet on here, I think people give up.

This will be my 20th post and I've been a member for nearly a month.

You can't get a quick reply to someone who is on the forum and responded to your post and when I've tried to offer a little help, obviously can't do much yet as new, but had other's answer before my post has even appeared. Frustrating!

11. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

The reason the first lot of posts are moderated is because we have quite a few people who join to just post backlinks. Without this safeguard, we would need to search any post that, that member has done and go through it all to delete.

However, you can now post without issues.

12. MarcG

MarcG Boxer

Nope, I'm still moderated.

I can understand a few posts, but once a mod sees someone is legit then they should let them post.

13. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

It’s a completely automated system. It seems to be a bug. I checked and you should now have no issues. If it happens again, message me