Not Free Anymore?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by nforce, Jun 2, 2020.

1. andsy

andsy Boxer

I think everything should change (from price plans, to forums, etc.).

It's just my opinion.

redhouanee likes this.
  2. MarcG

MarcG Boxer

So much moaning!

Did Dell/Apple etc give you your computer for free so you could build games on it? Maybe you should get free electric to run it too.

If you're a builder, you buy your tools. If you're an artist you buy brushes/paints. If you're a taxi driver you buy a car. etc etc All upfront purchase/risk to make your living.

So why should your programming tools be free?

Buildbox should call it a 'Demo' version, something that lets you try out the tools before deciding to buy.

One thing I do think they need to change though is the big tagline on the homepage, as this is not true now as they've removed the mobile export:

No-Code mobile game development. For Free.

3. wufoyovu

wufoyovu Boxer

absolutely agree

4. FaydThnx

FaydThnx Boxer

Maybe They'll understand when we all leave this software. I had my first and last project to be completed on BB3. Once its done, I'm not even gonna open BB because of its high pricing and changes they would have made till then. and the thing which @MarcG is talking about, is totally unrelatable. If we are game devs, we can use unity for free, there's no need in buying it. but do you think an indie or a startup would be able to pay around 500$ just for testing a new thing and totally risking out their lives?

redhouanee likes this.
  5. yazoozay

yazoozay Boxer

I just started using BB at the beginning of the year, just because of the mobile export and the limitless scenes. And now after I spent several months learning the program I have to dump it because all I started using it in the first place, is gone! Now that is a really bad move to make!

Not saying it should be free, but retaining what they have stated in the first place!
    And I totally agree with renaming the FREE to DEMO version, just because that's what it is now.

I had doubts when I had to choose an app to start with and now I'm sure. Hello GDevelop! Now that is a real free platform!

redhouanee and Gamebox like this.
  6. HenGame

HenGame Boxer

On your website, "No-Code mobile game
    development. For Free. ", But" mobile "is removed from the free version. This is misleading the consumer and is a crime.

upload_2020-6-3_10-37-39.png

redhouanee and Gamebox like this.
  7. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

While I completely understand your frustration at the moment, I want to make it clear that these changes have only just happened. Advertisements that do not meet our standards will be changed accordingly in due time.

8. Gamebox

Gamebox Boxer

Thanks I’ll check out Gdevlop

9. Bilz636

Bilz636 Avid Boxer

Honestly speaking, i like the idea for some reasons
    1. Free version to learn and get familiar with bb3 (i saw many pro boxers had this difficulty so free trail thing help a lot)
    2. Less competition, As paid boxers are mostly see each other as companions but Free boxers were stealing our ideas :D
    3.Company need some Financial support as well to run everything smooth we do understand this!

spicedbeangames and MarcG like this.
  10. Bilz636

Bilz636 Avid Boxer

I like to add one more thing in the Price plan is not correct!!

"PLUS" deal isn't good
    $189.99 pr year ($19.99 per month) ??? Seriously? I hope your management wasn't drunk while drafting pricing!!!!
    Set a Rule No drink in office while making serious policies!!!

it should be like this
    World = 5 (currently are 5 and its fine)
    Scenes per WORLD = 30
    IAP= YES
    Ads Network= Admob, IronSource , Applovin, Revmob, and Chartboost) Since you're not getting 10% shares so return these ad networks!

redhouanee likes this.
  11. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

40% of nothing is nothing.

The gravy train can't continue forever and if you want to become a serious games developer, it takes time and money. Yes Unity might be free but if you can't code, or don't have the time to code - then BB reduces your time in a blink. It's so easy to throw a prototype together.

And for that heavy lifting, it comes at a price and a pretty decent price considering it's the best 3d no code engine out there.

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  12. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

The appearance of the free version was a really big gift. A typical procedure to attract new customers. But the company has to earn to exist. Other companies solve this in different ways, e.g. 30 days for free and then decide what you want to do about it. The Buildbox offer was really very good for customers. There is also no perfect software. Each engine has its pros and cons, weak tutorials or errors, etc. We just can't have everything.

Sean Buildbox and Gamebox like this.
  13. redhouanee

redhouanee Boxer

if the mobile export are not allowed in the free plan i think i will remove 8cell from my admob account
    10% of earnings for nothing :oops: I liked this engine and i learned to use it since 2017, but the pricing policy is no longer appropriate:(. I don’t think that a beginner game developer can pay for this high subscription. This game engine is used by developers from all over the world, and not everyone has an income like the American citizen. $ 500 dollars is a continuous 5-month salary in some countries like my country :(, think about it. Many subscribers will leave,10% of admob profits I think are appropriate for a beginner and 25% for pro boxero_O

14. nforce

nforce Boxer

You realize Unity is truly free and it also has visual scripting for no coding bs, they also allow in app purchasing for free , so defending this half assed engine is pretty insane.

redhouanee likes this.
  15. Toy

Toy Boxer

While I understood that it's a business and company need to made profit. I'm a plus plan user btw. The change from unlimited scene to 15 scene is kinda "maybe it not that bad". But what's with taking custom splashscreen out? That's just made it felt like downgraded.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    redhouanee likes this.
  16. mohamed awad

mohamed awad Avid Boxer

that's right, They have the full right to earn money, but remove mobile export?
    that does not make any sense, this is android & ios game engine in the first place
    Put yourself in the shoes of a new user, I can't test my game on a real device, how can I pay 500$ for a result I do not know?
    I think 10% is very enough and makes more sense

redhouanee likes this.
  17. Bill Basie

Bill Basie Boxer

BTW, I am also a hobby musician and have invested in many music packages and platforms (Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate, the whole Positive Grid SW package, Studio One Professional, etc..). So my decision to move to Unity has nothing to do with the investment as such, but Buildbox's pricing policy that keeps changing every few months. If I am to invest in something then I expect stability and a clear view on my risk. If they want $500 then the atleast should properly document the software and not leave it up to us to figure things out by trial and error.

I invested now in PlayMaker (create games without coding) and Easy Mobile Pro (Monetization and In-App purchasing) for a considerable less amount of many and I am starting my journey with Unity.

18. Toy

Toy Boxer

I think "no coding" on Unity, you have to buy that feature/ plug in. It called "Playmaker" $30 something if I remember correctly. I was hesitated between that and buildbox as well.

19. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

And you do realise that Unity has been around for over a decade? It doesnt have free VS tool set and you still have to purchase a licence to use them.

If I remember during Unity's early days, they also charged for mobile exports and fees for a large chunk of that time period. But that is the beauty of competition. If you don't like it, you have other options.

20. nforce

nforce Boxer

There are free Visual Scripting as well on Unity Store , i installed myself one yesterday (Constellation open source VS), plus plenty source codes to start making a game easily, stop defending these deceivers because it makes no sense.