Not Free Anymore?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by nforce, Jun 2, 2020.

1. nforce

nforce Boxer

I know this software is really not that big of a deal because of how limited is and littered with bugs , but even so i had hopes that i would be able to create something with it and maybe generate enough money to be able to buy the PRO licence at some point in time. The free version was limited enough but now you make it basically useless with 1 world only and 5 scenes ? What can a free user do with 5 scenes ? Never seen a company shoot itself in the foot before like you people are, first you remake it into a half assed version of Buildbox 2 and make it free but limited , now you go back on your words and make it Pay to use again. Take those ''Free'' tags away at least and stop lying to people , no one will buy your Plans if you operate like this. Realize that your free version is not worth buying even with Unlimited scenes because of how limited is and lack of tutorials etc so why would anyone buy your plans now when limiting it to the point of no use anymore.

MadAlex, aminee and redhouanee like this.
  2. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

We understand that this may feel out of the blue and we do apologise for this.

The original purpose for the creation of the free version was and still is to give our users the ability to be able to learn how to create a game without a financial risk. we want out customers to be able to use our free version of the software to learn how to create small yet well polished games. its a good practice to do before making the financial commitment to one of our plans.

while it may seem difficult at the moment, you can actually make some pretty decent games without having multiple scenes.

Regards

Josh,
    Buildbox Community Manager.

3. nforce

nforce Boxer

What will happen with the .bbdoc files we already have with over 5 scenes completed? Will we be able to edit them and retain the scenes 3 months from now ? That email shed no light about curent projects. What will happen with the published games , will they remain monetized on playstore after 3 months at least if the free thing goes away? Lots of questions weren't answered in that email.

4. Josh (Nology Games)

as far as editing the scene, you can only edit BBDocs that fit in with your restrictions. so if you have 6 scenes, you can not open the BBDoc with it if you are limited to 5.

However, any game that was already created, (such as games on the stores) will be able to stay on the stores. these games are yours, you have control over them being on the stores or not. the only thing you won't be able to do is export a new version from Buildbox to android/apple

Regards

Josh,
    Buildbox Community Manager.

5. Antone Samy

Antone Samy Boxer

You are sadly destroying your reputation by changing the price plans every 2-3 weeks and now it looks like you have deceived your free users by trapping them with the useless plan after spending many days designing their games... You need show some consistency and commitment to build trust!

Gamebox likes this.
  6. Josh (Nology Games)

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. We actually haven’t changed the price plan since the free version of Buildbox came out. As far as I am aware.

we are not trying to trap anyone, it’s still really easy to make a pretty good game in the free version of Buildbox. You can make an entire platformer game in only one scene.

yes we have added some limitations, but with Buildbox, you can just as easily make games without feeling limited.

7. Antone Samy

Antone Samy Boxer

But you removed mobile export!!!
    Tell me how an indie dev or a startup will be able to debug their projects or test their success and profitability before start paying you 500$ annually.

8. Josh (Nology Games)

You can debug using the preview.
    By releasing the free version we gave our users the ability to try and master our software without making any kind of commitment.

if that’s not enough, you can test your profitability with our plus plan which does allow mobile export.

risk comes before reward. If it came after, it’s no longer a risk.

the plus plan does help users test that risk before upgrading to the pro plan, if they choose to do so, that is.

regards

Josh,
    Buildbox community manager

9. Antone Samy

Antone Samy Boxer

You need a real mobile test or emulator to test the speed & compatibility!!

Even current plus plan is very limited and only fits in very specific scenarios

Spending your time learning and developing is a risk too, you just added a very limiting and losing risk layer to the equation! Any successful game engine has a nearly full free plan for that reason... people risk their time designing their projects and when they become successful they gladly pay for ultimate features and support

I won't reply or waste your time with more comments but for me I feel that I wasted 3 months of my time in something that will become useless in few weeks. I believe 99% of the users feel the same.

You should have at most kept the limitations the same and implemented a way to have a percentage of the free published apps' revenue.. anything more than that is unacceptable by the masses.

10. Josh (Nology Games)

You are correct, it may seem like a risk to learn a software as it takes time but I assume that you already knew the risk when you started using Buildbox

I do want to add that I don’t actually think it’s a risk. It’s a learning process more than anything really. It’s something new. Though its a very fast way to make games once you get used to it.

The pro plan may seem like a commitment, but it is only half the price of what it use to me and with so much more that you can do with you.

we added the free plan so that our members could master Buildbox before making any form of financial commitment. As far as testing it on android/apple, the plus plan does in fact make a pretty decent first step in running tests. Yes, it’s limited compared to the pro plan but it’s still less limited than the free version.

many of the “free” with no limitation software out there does take money from you in the end. In most cases, more than I what we take. We are also very involved within the community to help out software get better each update.

in any case, I have said these points before so I will end this comment here.

regards

Josh,
    Buildbox community manager

11. mohamed awad

mohamed awad Avid Boxer

look. I understand why you limit scene, plus plan become more expensive and more limited
    But the thing that I do not understand is how removed mobile export ?????
    99% or maybe 100% of buildbox users depend only on mobile exports
    Worse still, you removed a feature that was there before
    The logical thing is to add features or keep the situation the way it is
    How do I pay money for a result I do not know and do not know the problems that I will meet. and don't tell me preview debug
    it's not enough to show the big picture,
    for me, if I use this free plan, I will never pay 500$ for this risk ( i already have pro subscription ) because last free plan gave me the full picture from A to Z
    trust me, this free plan will be alienated developers from this software.

FST, aminee and redhouanee like this.
  12. Gamebox

Gamebox Boxer

Removing key free features sounds like back stabbing I am sorry. Attract the bees with honey and then trap them. Totally non pro. Why would I spend time designing a game only to see it on desktop? Why not restore the export to mobile, what’s the point otherwise? I do welcome the lower range pricing however. I would gladly upgrade to the lower price range so I can build and even better game. And who knows if I find a true calling then upgrade to a super pro version. I spent all this time on the Jam challenge and I wont even be able to export to mobile... Now like many, I feel betrayed.

redhouanee likes this.
  13. HenGame

HenGame Boxer

I think the buildbox employees deserve the money and I support some restrictions. but I just want to say something. You broke my dreams by restricting mobile export. I had a new project and I left my job to accomplish this. In my country, the dollar is 7 times more valuable. your 19.99 unit money is equal to my 134.19 unit money.

redhouanee likes this.
  14. HenGame

HenGame Boxer

Also, 1 year commitment is very brutal. I would like to be able to buy only 1 month. I recommend you to be community friendly when the capitalist system collapses

redhouanee likes this.
  15. redhouanee

redhouanee Boxer

But why you removed (Mobile export) from the free plan !!
    (10% of admob earnings) are not enough??:(:(:(

aminee and Gamebox like this.
  16. redhouanee

redhouanee Boxer

in my country (Algeria) 1 USD = 128 Algerien dinar (DZD) :( Buildbox Team destroyed my dream :(:(:(:(

17. youcef

youcef Boxer

I believe buildbox is digging its own grave.. the free plan was a great move that everyone liked.. but now you are making it a useless plan and removed the mobile export even tho you know almost everyone who uses buildbox exports to ios or android so there is no point of using buildbox free and you made the price of the plus plan 19.99$ after it was 9.99 with much much more options and with no 10% of admob earnings as i can remember.. the pro subscription is now 499$ per year and you can't even chose to buy it for a month.. abandoning bb2 which you said before that it's the best game maker out there and now i don't think we'll see any updates for the software that i and many boxers use because it's a really non code software because we all know that if you want to use bb3 right and create a decent game you will have to code so why don't i just switch to unity if i have to code ? I think i'm done with buildbox...

Gamebox and redhouanee like this.
  18. mohamed awad

mohamed awad Avid Boxer

this software built for mobile games I guess, the new users must have the right to test projects on the phone,
    and if you need money from a free plan, I think 10% is very enough...

FST, aminee, Gamebox and 1 other person like this.
  19. nforce

nforce Boxer

They need to realize that buildbox is on its death row again if they do that, take 30 % off ad revenue and leave the damn thing free or even better take 40% like how youtube does but then let Free version have unlmited worlds and scenes too .. you are supposed to advance and evolve but you are instead going back to how it was before you went nearly bankrupt that you had to sell the company or whatever happened last year.

Gamebox and redhouanee like this.
  20. mohamed awad

mohamed awad Avid Boxer

the free plan becomes useless and no one will be happy when using it.

FST, aminee, Gamebox and 1 other person like this.