Buildbox Free Updates!

Discussion in 'Buildbox 3.0' started by Bill Basie, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Bill Basie

Bill Basie Boxer

Hello Boxers,

Today I received an e-mail from Buildbox titled "Buildbox Free Updates!" about the new pricing structure that will go into effect in 90 day.

While I fully understand that Buildbox needs revenue and generate profit to its owners, I am very disappointed with the deep cuts to the free version. When I started to work with BB3 a couple of months ago, the free version allowed 1 world, unlimited scenes and export to IOS and Android. Now (more precisely in 90 days), the free version will be limited to 1 world, 5 scenes and export to Desktop.

The no-code approach of Buildbox is truely amazing and what encouraged me to start developing my first game ever. And although the free version has its limitations, it is great that it is being offered as an introduction to anyone interested in venturing into the indie game world.

However, to radically change the terms of the free version in such a short time is very discouraging and will make finishing my game impossible without subscribing to the Pro plan. I am developing for Android and will have more that 5 (even 15 scenes for the new Plus plan). For me this is too big of a financial risk since I have no prior experience in the gaming industry.

And I do respect and empathize with all Buildbox Pro users for their financial support and understand that you have to differentiate between paying and non-paying customers. But to change the restrictions of the free version in such a way and a short time is discouraging.

I hope my post doesn't come across a rant but an honest feedback as I intended. There is life after Buildbox :)

Would love to hear your honest opinion.

2. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

We understand that this may feel out of the blue and we do apologise for this.

The original purpose for the creation of the free version was and still is to give our users the ability to be able to learn how to create a game without a financial risk. we want out customers to be able to use our free version of the software to learn how to create small yet well polished games. its a good practice to do before making the financial commitment to one of our plans.

while it may seem difficult at the moment, you can actually make some pretty decent games without having multiple scenes.

your post does not come across as a rant at all. in fact we appreciate your feedback. we will be making node of all comments we receive on this topic.

Regards

Josh,
    Buildbox Community Manager.

3. Bill Basie

Bill Basie Boxer

Thanks for the reply Josh.

What bothers me most is the short time span between the 2 different versions of "free". I invested countless hours learning a software only to find out a couple of months later that in order to finish my first project, I would now have to invest the exact same subscription amount that would have been a no-go for me in the first place.

That leaves me with no other option than to make the switch to another engine that is free without any restrictions. Very sad since I think that Buildbox is great.

All the best to you and the Buildbox community

4. whitedogapp

whitedogapp Avid Boxer

200$ for 15 scenes?? unity is cheaper

Milania likes this.