Neutral Age Screen

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by patostar, May 11, 2020.

1. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

I read google's policies, and one of them was about neutral age screen, and that we developers must implement it and have it in our apps, should we have it in our apps?

2. MickMick93

MickMick93 Boxer

Stunned that no one answered this yet. This is a very important issue, because there seems to be no way of doing this without code.

3. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

Below is the Google requirement for using the neutral age screen. Basically if you are targeting children and adults then it is required. Pretty vague really and I have never seen this implemented into a game. You do not need to use it if you are not collecting data from children. So I am assuming this is why I have never seen it, because developers of course are claiming they are not collecting data.
    Google is getting ridiculous with this stuff. In my opinion I wouldn’t implement this at all until I was told to do it.
    So glad I stopped developing for Android!

“Apps that target both children and older audiences should not implement APIs or SDKs that are not approved for use in child-directed services unless they are used behind a neutral age screen or implemented in a way that does not result in the collection of data from children (e.g., providing Google Sign-in as an optional feature).”

4. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

Thanks a lot for your post, you are right google is not being clear here, do you think from 13+ means I am targeting children? I am really confused, because I've played a lot of games I rarely see anyone implemented it.

5. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

I don’t want to give you advice on whether you should or should not do it because in my opinion Google does whatever they want when they want and I don’t want to be the reason for Google reacting poorly to your account.
    I will say, as you and I both stated, I have never seen this put into place on a single game. Research it, if you don’t see it, what does that tell you. But, you never know about Google.

patostar likes this.
  6. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

Right, thanks again for your input, I will ask some developers who have more experience than me, and see what happens.