Vintage Speed Racer Advice

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by HighSideS2K, Apr 10, 2020.

1. HighSideS2K

HighSideS2K Boxer

Hello everyone,

Few years back there was a great game on the app store called "Hit n'run nano" unfortunately this game is no longer available.
    The game was quite simple: The goal was to weave in and out of traffic at high speeds and hit cars of the proper color (Quite like a Uno) your car needs to be the same color as the one you are going through. You could also choose your own speed and pace: from comfortable and relaxed to extreme and outright mad. The graphic package was quite simple but very relaxing with very nice scenery and background. (btw if anyone have a download link of this game. I can't find it.)
    Link of the video:

[​IMG]

I discovered and downloaded buildbox yesterday and I am pretty sure that this kind of game can be done quite easily with it.

My objective and the reason I am writing here is that I am planning on creating a personal reconstruction of this game and at some point mixing it with an "Outrun" or "80's Overdrive" style old 8bit/16bit/32/bit graphic.
    by now I have started with the "car collision" template and reskined some stuff around to make it look a bit nicer and closer to what I am looking for but I am still very far away from the final version I am looking for.

[​IMG]

-I have some problems though:

- I would like to create light turns
    - I am trying to put a background image (I have changed the background color but where can I add a background picture?)
    - I would like to give a more natural driving feeling when the car turns. (Or at least when I press the right or the left key seeing a bit of the side of the car.
    - I would like to change the other cars by some of the others cars and trucks given
    - How can I add the color rule to the game instead? (This can be a bit tricky I think)

Thanks for your help !

jcalle and 5petersonzachary like this.
  2. 5petersonzachary

5petersonzachary Serious Boxer

For the background image you just drag in a png image and in the layers window drag it onto the camera and then the image will follow where the camera is.
    For changing the other cars, go into the node map of the cars and drag an if collide node. Set that if collide to character and connect it to a 3d model node (although you might need to use a state machine so the other 3d model doesn't stay visible). This way when the main car hits the other car it will change to a different 3d model (or color). There is a template for a more natural driving car like you mentioned, it's called space buggy. You could start with that template or just export the car as a .bbasset and drag it into your project and then change the 3d model/color to what you are using.

Hope this helps :)

HighSideS2K likes this.
  3. mella

mella Boxer

before starting try a simple example of APK on your mobile ok. I created a game like this but the speed in buildbox is different from the speed in my laptop